TSC Aspen Bedding- Is it OK?

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by CloggingChicken, May 2, 2009.

1. CloggingChicken

CloggingChicken Out Of The Brooder

Mar 22, 2009
    Hendersonville, NC
    We have been keeping various chicks for the last 3 months. We started it with 4H and hatching some EE's. They gave us pine shavings and all was well, except for allergies to Pine. After that we switched to the Aspen Bedding that is sold at WM and did not have any issues. We used that up until this week and we bought a much larger cheaper bale of Aspen Bedding at TSC since no one had issues in the span of a couple months, including some petite Bob White chicks.
    The day after putting the TSC Aspen bedding into the brooder boxes we had 3 of our BO chicks start having balance issues. We removed and cleaned the boxes out and replaced it with with the WM material. The smallest chick ended up dying and the other two are getting better as time goes by. The biggest difference in the material was the size of the chips and neither has a discernable odor.
    We can only assume it was the bedding and I was wondering if any one else has had an experience like this.

Thanks for any feedback.

Bill

2. aaronzclark

aaronzclark Chillin' With My Peeps

Hmmm that is weird my chicks have been fine in it for years and I have hatched 100s of chicks

3. MaggieRae

MaggieRae Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 12, 2009
    North Texas
    I need to follow this post. I just recently saw aspen bedding in tractor supply and it looked better *easier on the chickies* than the massive pine shavings we use for the horses... We're getting chicks soon and I was planning on just using the pine... But would aspen work at all? I'm kind of nervous now...

4. danielbrown

danielbrown Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 27, 2009
    Spartanburg, sc
    I get Aspen from TSC, I don't have any problems with it.

5. Tala

Tala Flock Mistress

I got "soft wood" shavings from Petco, they were about the size of chainsaw sawdust - very small, a mixture of Pine, Aspen and some other non-scented wood.

After that bag ran out and the chicks were bigger I got the small animal size Aspen chips from TSC. I don't care as much for the consistency, but I really don't think the chicks can tell the difference. It's working out for us.

6. Appaloosa Hill Farm

Appaloosa Hill Farm Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 8, 2009
    Southern Middle TN
    We've been using Aspen from TSC and it's working beautifully. Sorry for your loss! I hope the other chicks continue to improve.

7. jywel417

jywel417 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 4, 2009
    Atlanta
    The only difference I noticed with aspen bedding from TSC and the reg wood shavings I had been using is since the aspen is a naturally oil free bedding I don't think that it absorbed odors quite as well as the other. My whole house smelt like dirty brooder boxes when I was using the aspen. It is not nearly as bad as it was since I have switched back to pine shavings.

8. Tala

Tala Flock Mistress

I agree, pine has a nice fresh scent

9. CloggingChicken

CloggingChicken Out Of The Brooder

Mar 22, 2009
    Hendersonville, NC
    Update:
    So far the others that had issues have recovered for the most part. They still have some trouble balancing when stretching or scratching with one leg off the ground. We have continued to use the WM Aspen bedding and tried the TSC Pine shavings. They don't seem to have the same sneezing fits that the humans do when using the Pine, but it is better for us to put up with the allergy than loose the chicks. I can only assume that either something is wrong with the bag of Aspen from TSC or some virus moved through the flock and hit on the weakest. We won't be using the TSC Aspen just to make sure it doesn't have a negative impact.
    The one loss really hit on the kids moral and wanting to handle the babies as they didn't want to hurt them. Their also resilient and slowly getting back to handling them.

Bill

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by