TSC chick update

wayneh

Chirping
8 Years
Jan 25, 2011
N. E. Alabama
Just got back from the TSC, lots of chicks. cute little fuzzys and friendly. They only have buff orpingtons and cornish. only stright run no sexing. they will not sex your chicks in the store. however you can order them sexed but no less that 25, way too many for me. looks like Meyer Hatachery is going to be getting an order. know we would need to order as close to my location, but have not found a hatachery around me. anyone out there know if there is one close to n.e. corner alabama or n.w. georgia. we are in fort payne, alabama. thanks

I went into Tractor Supply today on my way home from an errand just to see. They had three tubs -- production red, cornish rock, and Speckled Sussex. All straight run and $2/ea. The tubs were on the floor, too, so very easy for small children to reach.
sad.png
I'm glad I didn't plan to get my chicks there!

Sorry you didn't find what you were after. Have you looked at Craigslist? You might be able to find a local source there.

I'm near Anniston/Oxford. Pickett's feed stores in both towns have chicks. I got some from them last year and they were healthy chicks. Also, check here on BYC. Several folks have chicks for sale. You might find some near you.
wink.png

Quote:
you can easily sex them yourself..
wink.png
.. IF the chicks are 2-3 days old. if they were hatched yesterday.. then can't do it.
here are 2 example pics from my own hatchings. You are looking between their "elbow" and their shoulder. cockerels are slower to feather out in this section, and they only have one layer of feathers here, unlike the pullet's double layer.
wink.png

Cockerel:
75928_ee-slrw_cockerel.jpg

Pullet:
75928_ee-slrw_pullet.jpg

Quote:
you can easily sex them yourself..
wink.png
.. IF the chicks are 2-3 days old. if they were hatched yesterday.. then can't do it.
here are 2 example pics from my own hatchings. You are looking between their "elbow" and their shoulder. cockerels are slower to feather out in this section, and they only have one layer of feathers here, unlike the pullet's double layer.
wink.png

Cockerel:
https://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/uploads/75928_ee-slrw_cockerel.jpg

Pullet:
https://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/uploads/75928_ee-slrw_pullet.jpg

So helpful! Thanks!

Back
Top Bottom