jenni22776rn

Songster
8 Years
Mar 6, 2011
Central Maine
81782_056.jpg

81782_059.jpg

81782_049.jpg

Got these little girls yesterday..bin was not labeled....was told possibe sex links...I wanted laying hens..not meat birds...found out they had tetra tints new to the store...any ideas? They seem larger then the other australorps I got.....

If those chicks grow at a tremendous rate and consume twice the food of the other chicks, you'll know they are meat birds.
If their rate of growth is consistent with your other chicks, you'll know they are not. At 5-6 weeks, their sex will be much more obvious.
So, time will tell the story.

Fred's Hens :

If those chicks grow at a tremendous rate and consume twice the food of the other chicks, you'll know they are meat birds.
If their rate of growth is consistent with your other chicks, you'll know they are not. At 5-6 weeks, their sex will be much more obvious.
So, time will tell the story.

Would they sell them as layers..knowing they were meat birds? I do not want meat birds.....ugggg!​

Quote:
I think I saw that link...do you know what they were mixed with? Are they considered meat birds? I really wanted layers...we don't do meat birds....I don't have the heart to have meat birds! They are a little bigger then the australorps..when I called the store and asked them...they said they were selling them as sex links but they did not come labeled...uggg! Any information on tetra tints? never have heard of them before!

Quote:
Well this was my first time ever buying chicks..I asked what I thought to be all the correct questions..such as are they meat birds or layers.....and the other bins were labeled...I was not even thinking meat birds until I posted the pix and was told they look like meat birds....they had a picture on the bin showing sex links...and the girl said that was what they were selling them for...so I took the risk...what can I say..next time I will know!

Last edited:
Quote:
I think I saw that link...do you know what they were mixed with? Are they considered meat birds? I really wanted layers...we don't do meat birds....I don't have the heart to have meat birds! They are a little bigger then the australorps..when I called the store and asked them...they said they were selling them as sex links but they did not come labeled...uggg! Any information on tetra tints? never have heard of them before!

Tetra tints are not considered meat birds...

I dont see them as australorps as mine are black...
sex links?? dont think so...

Quote:

Tetra tints are not considered meat birds...

I dont see them as australorps as mine are black...
sex links?? dont think so...

81782_063.jpg
Sorry I also got 3 of this little guys...
I am glad to hear that..not being meat birds! I have found just a few things about that breed...they are cute little girls whatever they are!

Within a week, you'll know for sure. The meat chick's rate of growth is uncanny. Be prepared NOW to find someone in your area wanting meat bird chicks. There will be folks who do.
Just be prepared for the real possibility and you'll be fine.

Even when you really, really know what you are doing, TSC can be a chaotic place to be sure you're getting pullets. Sex Link pullets are bred for a reason. If in doubt get red sex links. They are extremely easy to spot.

Back
Top Bottom