TSC chicks keep dying despite ideal conditions

At my TSC (VA): This year my store - and apparently all in the area - switched to these new brooders with the wire bottoms. My store used Hoover last year, but this year it’s a different place and so far none of the employees I have asked know from where. One employee I talked to today said they have had a lot of deaths, hard for staff to reach in and grab one chick - apparently they can all pour out, and actually not easier to clean because they have to scrub the grates from the poo. From what it looks to me is the heat source is a heat plate in the center of each level but they’re way too high. My understanding is it needs to be very low so the chicks can touch them. They were definitely piling together.

From what it looks to me is the heat source is a heat plate in the center of each level but they’re way too high.

My first time looking, they looked like they were way too high too me too. Alot more space that what I figured it would be. Also the chicks I saw were huddled up near the middle like they were cold. All they would have to do is stick a thermometer in there to see what kind of radiant temp was being produced.

My TSC only had baby ducks in there tower contraption, they didn't list what the breed was.
They're usually assorted ducks, i.e., any breeds that the hatchery has. BTW, ducklings need a slightly lower temperature than chicks, so maybe they handled the shipping delays a bit better, at least for a few hours?

Dodge Grain in NH has been using this type of brooder for years, at least since 2000. But not with the heat plates, just lights I think. They didn't have any issues with heat or getting chicks so I think it's a learning curve.
Of course they seem to care about animals. They also have pullets for sale too in a big coop ouside.
Since the last 4 died from TSC and the 2 replacements are still alive, I got a refund by calling TSC #on my receipt.

I will not buy chicks again from them only because it seems they can't take care, or learn how to, their animals. All of the heaters were too high up and they said they don't know when they are coming till that day. And that's too bad and very sad.

I now get my organic feed from a small Feed store in Derry NH, drive through barn ;) Prices are really good. Blue seal and Green Mountain

Last Friday we picked up 6 bantam chicks from TSC and went back Saturday to pick up a few more since ours were doing so well. The 5 we brought home on Saturday started dying within a few hours of being home and all 5 were deceased within 24 hours. My 6 from Friday were still ok but I’m very concerned to say the least. The original 6 had a little pasty butt that we were able to control quickly but the second group didn’t even have that issue. I woke up this morning to one of the pasty butt chicks having passed even though he was fine last night. We have been raising chicks for well over a decade and expect a few losses but this is mind boggling and emotionally difficult. We use the heating pad brooder, electrolytes and keep all new babies in our kitchen so we can closely monitor them the first week. I called TSC to let them know the situation because I was concerned something was wrong with the whole batch. The manager was also concerned as he had numerous reports from other stores as well as his own. According to him my chicks came from the same shipment on Friday and my 5 from Saturday were the last oh that batch. I noticed that our TSC had started using a new brooder system and hypotheses that that is a possible culprit considering my Friday chicks had just arrived when we picked them out. I had planned to allow my broody to take over the chicks after the first night but I’m scared to introduce the chicks to my flock even if they make it through. Any insight?
Our local TSC employees have commented a couple of times about the sickly chicks they have gotten this year. AFter reading the comments here I believe it is mostly the delayed delivery times. We are in Mississippi

Last edited:
I was just at our local TSC (in rural area) and they just got their first shipment of chicks in at about noon from Hoover's. They were putting them into the new stacked brooder system while I was there, with the surplus in the old-style troughs with the heat lamps in their storage room. Some of the employees didn't seem very familiar with chicks but one employee definitely knew her stuff, knowing the chicks needed to be at 95 degrees, and was insistent that they not give the chicks feed until they'd been drinking. I also heard someone mention how their persistent cheeping was a sign that they weren't relaxed yet. The store was going to wait an hour for them to settle in and make sure they were doing okay before selling them. I was impressed. I chatted with the lady employee when I was checking out and she told me that the brooders were new and they weren't sure yet how the new brooders were going to work out. She told me they wanted to prioritize the chicks doing well. I was glad that our particular TSC seemed to be doing a decent job with their chicks. I already have chicks coming in April and it was still really hard for me to walk out empty-handed, though I told the lady I might be back. ;) I've got fluffy fever.

Back
Top Bottom