TSC chicks.........

ksct

Songster
10 Years
Apr 23, 2009
upstate, NY
I don't know if this goes here or not.....

Does anyone know what TSC does with all their 'left over' chicks? I konw you have to purchase 6 @ a time (at least here you do...) so what happens if no one wants them etc.....
Is it possible to have 'left overs' at the store?

Thanks!

i dont know but when i was there the other day they had some so long they were already starting feathers

Beyond that?

I bought my 6 GCs at one last year b/c I was afraid of what may happen to them if they don't get sold. Do they send them back to the hatchery? Go as meat birds? Set loose?

They just keep discounting them till someone buys them. At the West Branch, MI TSC ducks got down to $1.50 and my husband bought the last eight. Meaties went down to 75cents. That kind of thing.

LAST SEASON I STOPPED TO PICK UP A FEW MORE AND THE LADY SAID THEY SOLD ALL OF THEM FOR .25 CENTS AND I MISSED IT I CAN SAY I FELT LIKE A NAIL WAS DRIVEN IN MY HEART.
hit.gif

The well being of the birds was my concern and reason for asking......
I went in a week or 2 ago and it must have been the first day they had them.... I went over on my lunch break... they had sold them all that morning... something like 250 of them if I remember correctly....
And I just had to go over on my lunch again yesterday and they had 3 bins of chicks and one of ducklings.

How long do they usually sell them for? Should I keep checking til the end of April? We really don't need anymore (we're going to be hatching just a few here shortly) but I am concerned about them.
sad.png
makes me sad actually.

Thanks for the info. AND i'm glad to see i'm not the only one that worries about them.

You can always call the store too. Last year we stopped in during the middle/end of April and they had RIR/NHR chicks for $1 each - we bought 12. All 12 are still living and very healthy. Luckly, our local TSC is really good and have employees who care.

On another note, did you know that if you have rabbits for sale TSC will buy them before Easter and resell? Two years ago I had a litter that I couldn't give away. We stopped in there one day and I jokingly said "I see you have rabbits for sale - want to buy more?" and they did! They buy them dirt cheap (like $5 each) and sell for $25 - it's a rip off to customers, but for people like me who really need to get rid of them it works out. Sometimes people prefer to buy from stores they know instead of people they don't know.

Back
Top Bottom