TSC chicks :(

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by bluemini, Oct 10, 2011.

1. bluemini

bluemini Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 7, 2011
    I live where people dont raise chickens and TSC is the only place to get them ,The limit is 6 and thats all I really want, but I have bought chicks from there 2 times the first only 1 lived and the last none made it .

Im wanting more this spring but is there anyway to keep them alive ? I kept them inside until they was well over a month old and then they stayed out and died before they was even 3 pounds(probley weighed less)

I feed them,clean water,clean living and are in a building with window for ventilation and have outside pens for them,just having a hard time keeping any alive!

Although the 1st one I got from there that lived was a beauty and is still alive to my knowledge,I traded him for other chickens so im not sure really but he was full grown when I traded

2. greenegglover

greenegglover Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 14, 2009
    Indiana
    Did you start with medicated feed???? The can get coccidiosis (cocci) before they are full grown and medicated feed can help keep this from happening. There could be a number of other factors just trying to help.

3. Farm_Maven

Farm_Maven Chillin' With My Peeps

May 7, 2011
    Tishomingo
    It could have been anything. I got 15 chicks this spring from TSC, and all are doing fabulous. Got 12 eggs today out of 12 pullets laying.

4. TexasAggieOfc

TexasAggieOfc Out Of The Brooder

Dec 4, 2010
    Lincoln, NE
    Without looking at my spreadsheet, I bought chicks from 3 different TSCs, an Atwoods, and Ideal Poultry. My mortality rates for all 5 were within 2 percentage points of one another (of course that rate is all inclusive and includes deaths from predators). The medicated feed is a big thing. I feed that until they're at least 6 weeks old!

5. Time-Out

Time-Out Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 29, 2011
    The Peak District, UK
    You don't mention heat at all. Are you providing them with heat?

6. Judy

Judy Moderator Staff Member

Feb 5, 2009
    South Georgia
    There could be many causes, but cocci is definitely one, and preventable. I'd get some Corid and go ahead and treat when I put them outside. You might also clean the coop with a 10% ammonia solution before re-using. Unfortunately, cocci live in the soil so this will only do so much.

Just FYI, usually at TSC there is a minimum of 6 chicks, not a maximum. I wonder if you misunderstood, or if an employee misunderstood (a distinct possibility.)

http://www.clemson.edu/public/lph/ahp/disease_links/images/coccidia.pdf

https://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=368508

7. Impress

Impress Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 4, 2011
    Gray, TN
    ALWAYS start those TSC chicks with medicated feed and a lot of heat, they have been picked up, dropped, and put through a myriad of other messes before you even get them home! They can survive just fine (mine always have) but you have to baby them a bit to get them started, it is a hard way to start life in a store petting zoo!

8. bluemini

Sep 7, 2011
    I ment to say that you have to get at least 6 chicks from there . Also I clean the coop and they have heat on them and stay in when they are young . My dog killed one of the last two but the other one was skinny and sick . I get them in march everytime , and I dont take them out til the end of april without a heat lamp.

They are in an inclosed insulated building,and if its too hot I put fans in the window and if its too cold then a little heater ..

Also from the first 6 I bought one had a broke leg,and then 2nd time I only bought 2 chicks because thats all they had left so they let me take them . They never said anything about medicated food so thats probley it . They said all I need is to give them feed and water and keep them in heat .

I bought two ducks each time I bought chicks,all those made it and were healthy,,but I had them out in the pen and my cat found a hole in it and ate one,then the dog ate the other.

I no longer have that dog so thats not a problem,I raise rabbits and they all make it so do the ducks just not the chicks

9. djennings

djennings Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 10, 2011
    Sabine Pass, TX.
    This time get the medicated feed for them. [​IMG]

10. bluemini

Sep 7, 2011
    Quote:I will,they just never told me I needed it , I asked them and they said they was a few days old

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by