TSC Coop/run modification/design thoughts?

20170624_203313.jpg
I heard more squawking than usual last night at bedtime and peeked inside coop... apparently Cheeks has found her own spot to roost, on top of the coop wall!

Attachments

• 20170624_203443.jpg
    20170624_203443.jpg
    228.2 KB · Views: 64
Finished my run extension! Added about 8 square feet to the run, bringing me to about 27 square feet of run space for my 3 girls. I'll have to go bigger if/when I add more birds in 2-3 years, but hopefully by that time we will be on our dream mini-ranch and I can go BIG!

For the extension I used 1/4 inch soffet hardware cloth and framed the sides with 1x 2s. Used the swing out front door for the top, that gives me access for cleaning, and plywood to cover the rest for shade. 2 coats of good exterior paint + primer & there it is!

Attachments

• 20170701_124914.jpg
    20170701_124914.jpg
    955.7 KB · Views: 65
Some updates on my coop.

I didn't post this at the time, but I converted my coop to a chicken tractor. Added a 2"x6" underframe, 8" wheels, L-brackets to strengthen the frame, hinged ramp with string to pull it up, and hooks/rope to the front to move it every two days. Works well, but is pretty heavy. (note: picture taken before ramp line and drag rope added)
ChickenTractor.jpg

I added a Chicken Guard automatic door- expensive, but I've been very happy with it. I considered this important because with a mobile coop, I couldn't add rocks or a hardware cloth "skirt" around the coop to protect against digging predators (mostly raccoons).
AutoDoor_170522.jpg

The thin slats around the coop area look nicer than plywood, but even with an additional coat of paint, I've been having problems with wet weather warping them. The coop door expanded and I had to shave down a couple of pieces and reinforce with short screws. The frame around the window at the back warped and would eventually come off, but I added more short screws to better affix it to the wall.
CoopWarpedDoor2.jpg

Last edited:
Cute tractor!!

Bummer about the warping... our summers are dry but our winters can be really wet, so I'll have to keep an eye on it this first year... hopefully it gets me through to next spring.

Thankfully I haven't encountered any warping of mine.. I painted it with enamal paint though so the wood has a more protected barrier.. water beads up on it and rolls off.

I added a layer of enamel paint before assembly as well. We had a very wet spring which did the damage.

That is one reason why I'll never buy a commercial coop again. Humidity can affect thin/cheap wood too easily. Plywood and 2x4s should have far less problems.

Last edited:
JMO of course, I think the coop is perfect size for three birds.

I have the exact same coop and since I have six birds, I elevated the coop quite a bit and attached wooden boards to the side of the TSC coop, and made the whole thing into a coop. I also added a 60 foot run for the birds to go into everyday.

Any chance you have some pictures? I have the same coop and need to make modifications.

The door above it does open, but with the tray only being an inch deep, it is still hard pulling the tray out with shavings and poop clogging it up. That wooden bar between the tray and door is permanently attached. I think I'm going to have to saw it out and replace it with another bar on a hinge so that I can swing it open when I'm cleaning.

tray2-jpg.1017444
I think this was an old thread/post but I use sweet PDZ (horse stall product from tractor supply) in my poop trays and just scoop the poop out with a kitty litter scoop. Top off the sweet PDZ as necessary. Keeps the coop from smelling like a chicken coop. :)

I just got this coop. Glad to see there are others and the mods they have done.
Besides the warping of the one that was modified into a chicken tractor, how have the coops held up or have you already moved on to something else?

So far mine is holding up well. I added a door on the other side and fenced off a corner of the yard so they can have a little room to roam during the day when I'm home & can keep an ear out for them.

Attachments

• 20171017_164536.jpg
    20171017_164536.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 46

Back
Top Bottom