TSC ducklings...any ideas on breed?

bigtrout

In the Brooder
8 Years
Mar 24, 2011
NW PA
I am familiar with ducks but can not I'd the light ones with the eye stripes. Bought them at TSC in a tub labeled swedish ducks. The black ones obviously look like black swedes but the light ones have me stumped. They are a bluish tan...eye stripes...sun spots like a baby mallard or rouen just a lot lighter... the pics make them look darker than they really are. Instead of beaks and feet being black...the are brownish ..the feet flecked with yellow. At three weeks old they are the about the same size as the swedes, so that rules out mallards. My tractor supply gets its ducks from mt healthy hatchery in ohio, so I am assuming they have to be a pure breed. So any experts out there with a good opinion on what these may be?

Last edited:

I am familiar with ducks but can not I'd the light ones with the eye stripes. Bought them at TSC in a tub labeled swedish ducks. The black ones obviously look like black swedes but the light ones have me stumped. They are a bluish tan...eye stripes...sun spots like a baby mallard or rouen just a lot lighter... the pics make them look darker than they really are. Instead of beaks and feet being black...the are brownish ..the feet flecked with yellow. At three weeks old they are the about the same size as the swedes, so that rules out mallards.

My tractor supply gets its ducks from mt healthy hatchery in ohio, so I am assuming they have to be a pure breed. So any experts out there with a good opinion on what these may be?
Have you thought about sending Mt. healthy a email with pic and ask them what breed they are? Tell them where you got them from . They are adorable by the way.

Last edited:
Well the only breeds that Mt. Healthy sells are pekin and mallards. So, if you got the others at TSC, I'd say they may be incorrect about the hatchery.

With the 2 eye stripes, I'd say rouens just a different color variation than the norm,

I know they only list mallards and pekins...maybe they breed others specifically for TSC...I got the hatchery info from the man that does that stores chick day orders.

If they are rouens they are blue fawn...which would be quite rare...I find it hard to believe that ducks of that caliber make it to tractor supply.

Can't be mallards seeing as they are growing at about the same pace as the swedes....I raised a few mallards which were runts even compared to khakis

we have a yellow one, a black with yellow under neath and one that looks like your stripped one, not sure what they are, all from TSC here is a pic when we first got them

Back
Top Bottom