Songster
6 Years
Jul 24, 2013
Lakeland, TN
37AD9CF2-AFCF-4B3B-99B9-FF20C7C2AE5D.jpeg
7359952C-F5BC-4F57-B259-C54C81617A49.jpeg
955EFAC1-870E-40F4-A22E-4DE4A466976B.jpeg
1A8A1E6B-13F4-45C2-9D66-8267DBECD870.jpeg
I was in a hurry when I stopped by TSC for feed, but noticed there were some leftover 49 cent chicks in a tub marked Light Brahma. I didn’t get a good look at them; they were situated the farthest from the viewing area. I’ve thought about adding some Brahmas to my flock, so I told the gal who was boxing up ducklings for another customer, to box up the Brahmas for me and I would be back to the area after I got my feed.
I got my 1st look at the chicks after I placed them in the brooder and I immediately knew they were not Brahmas. They were so stinking cute, I decided to keep them.
I think they’re around 2-3 weeks old now and here are some pics of one of them. Does anyone recognize this breed or hybrid?

I would love some Orpingtons too!
I have them in the brooder with some Cinnamon Queen chicks that are almost the same age. They are no bigger than the CQs. Wouldn’t they be noticeably larger if they are a very large breed like Orpingtons?
Or do Orps grow slowly at first? I dunno anything about very large breeds. My biggest chicken is my OE rooster.

BO’s have white skin. The chick in your pics looks to have yellow skin. I think I see a single comb as well.

I don’t know the breed, but I’ll put a guess in: New Hampshire Red.

I could see either of the previous suggestions, though it doesn't look as pudgy/fluffy and the coloring a bit tinted for my limited experience with buffs. I will say that they do grow slowly so I wouldn't assume much based on that alone. New Hampshires I haven't had since I was a kid though, so I can't help much lol

Here are a couple of early pictures of my little New Hampshire Red accidental roo for comparison. I still have no idea what your little one is, however, it does make me think of my NHR.

The two yellowy chicks at the waterer at three days old. On top is a White Plymouth Rock and underneath it is my NHR.
FC9814D5-7095-46E5-9BE4-29DF7DFECAAA.jpeg

And here is satan himself. Cute? Yeah, I guess, but he was terrible. At this age, four weeks, he had pretty much a white head with red body feathering.
320E5A92-D6ED-4242-9EBE-EC1BA19F76EA.jpeg

Just a side shot. Still at four weeks.
45FCEEB6-A0D5-472B-8EB4-5367B282B8EB.jpeg

BO’s have white skin. The chick in your pics looks to have yellow skin. I think I see a single comb as well.

I don’t know the breed, but I’ll put a guess in: New Hampshire Red.

Hatchery quality Buff orpingtons have straight combs. And with hatchery quality birds they can also have the wrong coloring on their feet.

Hatchery quality Buff orpingtons have straight combs. And with hatchery quality birds they can also have the wrong coloring on their feet.
Okie dokie. When I mentioned single comb, I meant that as a straight comb. I thought they were one in the same. Also, I didn’t realize that Hatchery breeds could have different colored shanks/feet than the breed’s standard. All four of my BO’s came from a breeder so I was not aware. I’m sorry.

different

Don't be sorry, I was just trying to give info, not chastise you. The comb is the same, I was just pointing out that hatchery buff orps doesn't have the proper comb but they still are sold as buff orps (and that seems to be the same for any hatchery, but for some reason they are very popular). It isn't uncommon for hatchery birds to have different leg colors than what they are supposed to.

Back
Top Bottom