TSC Specialty & Red Pullet?? What exactly did I get?

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by jbrookebarrow, Apr 23, 2011.

1. jbrookebarrow

jbrookebarrow Out Of The Brooder

Apr 23, 2011
    Baker, FL
    Hit up TSC today and purchased 6 chicks. I got 1 Bantam with fuzzy legs (the cutest and loudest of the bunch), 1 Cornish Rock (sadly, just read a post that talks about how those are meat birds [​IMG] ), 2 dark "specialty" chicks (one has yellow fluff on top of his/her head and the other is almost completely black), and 2 "Red Pullets" that are more of a burnt orange color.

I know the Cornish Rock is a meat chicken, and while I'm sad about his/her eventual demise, I'm realistic in that he/she will have a full, healthy life and die honorably. I also believe everyone should at least know how to kill and dress poultry should it eventually be a daily necessity.

My main question is: what the heck did I buy?? The bantum has fluffy legs and is VERY vocal, but because he/she was marked as a specialty and mixed up with others, I have no idea what kind of bantum it is. I also got 2 "specialty" chicks that are dark in color and appear to have skinny legs. I'd like to know what they could be, in addition to the two "red pullets." Pullets look to be small with little legs.

I'll try to post pics when work slows down a bit. [​IMG] Thanks so much!

Brooke

2. jbrookebarrow

jbrookebarrow Out Of The Brooder

Apr 23, 2011
    Baker, FL
    My bantee died today. :'(

3. In His Service

In His Service Wise Men Still Seek Him

Apr 25, 2010
    Catskills
    [​IMG] so sorry.

4. 19hhbelgian

19hhbelgian Pigs DO Fly!!

Apr 9, 2009
    New Tripoli PA
    The one with "clean" legs and a poof on the head could be a polish (that's my best guess), but with no pics... Sorry to hear about your other chick.

5. KansasBoy

KansasBoy Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 16, 2011
    Topeka
    Yeah the one with the "poof" should be a crested polish... Pics of my two on my page!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by