TSC Weak Baby Help

OldCrookedToe

Chirping
Nov 10, 2015
Florence/Effingham, SC
I went to TSC to get shavings but stoppped to look at the babies where I saw a standard chick was in with a few bantams and it couldn't walk well at all and was just laying there with the other babies pecking it's eyes. I talked to an employee about taking it and she agreed and was glad it was going to get some help. It cannot walk well but it's legs aren't splayed or deformed. It will eat a little bit if it can reach the dish but won't drink at all. It's got sav a chick in it's water but I cannot get it to drink even though it really needs those electrolytes. I tried to feed it a scrambled egg but it wouldn't eat any of that. What can I do to get it to drink and what are some possible techniques for getting this baby to be healthy? I understand there's a fair chance it will die but I want to do all I can for her.

Last edited:
Your chick is more likely to want to eat what you give it if you mince it very small in a food processor. Boiled egg is probably better than scrambled since it has two colors to it, making it more appealing.

Another food easily digested is tofu. The same applies - mince it very finely.

The most important thing you can do for your chick is to get some Poultry Nutri-drench. It's formulated especially for sick chickens. It is absorbed directly into the blood stream, by-passing the liver. This is crucial since your chick is likely a failure-to-thrive victim. This means it likely has an underdeveloped digestive system at the very least. It's other organ may also be under par. Sprinkle a few drops of the Nutri-drench over the food. And mix it into the water at a ratio that the water appears as "weak tea".

That you finally got it to drink on its own is a major accomplishment. Good job! There's hope.

Thank you! I will do that for her. She still cannot walk like a normal chick can and she will take a few steps then get tired and fall asleep. I minced the scrambled eggs into a mush but she wouldn't go for it. I got her to eat a tiny bit of plain yogurt too.

Back
Top Bottom