Red is Friday 3/15
Green is Thursday 3/14
Almost

Green old shirt is the oldest

Pink/orange towel is this morning/last night 3/19
Red is Friday 3/15
Green is Thursday 3/14

You have it in the correct order now! :thumbsup

Refresh my memory... What day did she get the subcutaneous fluids?

I didn't ever go through with it, my mom was worried about hitting the air sacs. We did look at your thread with the diagrams and pictures but neither of us had the guts to do it. I still have all the stuff to do so though.

I've just been tube feeding her and trying to get ~240 ml a day in her. So every couple hours I give her 50 mLs depending on how her crop feels. She stopped eating all together which is why I went and got the kaytee exact.

Essentially to wrap everything up and for everyone else on here reading, my hen Lucy laid an shell less egg 3 weeks ago. She is a buff orpington who is a little over a year old. After the egg I bathed her and she seemed to be normal. However about a week later she hadn't laid anymore eggs, which isn't uncommon for her, she went through a molt this winter and hadn't really laid normal since. Anyways I noticed her acting strange so I brought her in for observation. She had all the symptoms of egg binding. I'm newer to the community so I've actually never had an egg bound hen. Gave her a bath, I had to go to school so my sister bathed her every hour until we concluded there probably wasn't an egg in there.

I then reached out the casportpony because she had posted a lot of information on all the threads I read through, because nothing I was doing seemed to be working. She recommended I take her to the vet. Which I ended up doing because Lucy was not doing well. The vet had never seen a chicken before but had experience growing up with chickens, it was my only shot.

The vet gave me metacam 2 mLs a day for inflammation, and Sulfa-trimeth suspension 1.25 mLs per day for antibiotics. Lucy responded really well to these. She really perked up and was actually eating on her own, but not drinking. By day 5, the last day of antibiotics Lucy was doing well but not 100% better.

However I believe she could be suffering from egg yolk perentesis, which I know doesn't have a great prognosis. But her being my pet not farm animal I wanted to do everything I could for her. Since the antibiotics stopped she started declining.

I am lucky enough to have some connections and I was able to score some cipro, which is like baytril but the human kind. I started her on that on Friday, but she really hasn't improved much. I wanted to start tube feeding her because she has a lost a good amount of muscle around her keel. And not eating doesn't really help you feel better.

Back
Top Bottom