Tube Feeding my Hen

YankeeBelle

In the Brooder
5 Years
Mar 19, 2014
I bought 6 Salmon Faverolles last Fall. They were 1/2 grown. They free ranged and did well until I noticed the roo was pushing one of the girls away and not letting her eat. I brought her inside for the winter and she ate poorly, very thin. I gave her special food etc. Just the past few weeks she has hardly eaten at all and I expected to find her dead. I decided to tube feed her yesterday and she seems to be gaining strength already. Tubing is very easy to do so I figured, why not try it. I do not know what her future will be, but I will try as long as she will. Her name is Mabel.

Good for you! Tube feeding is really easy. A lot of folks are scared to do it, but there is no reason to be. It is possibly the easiest procedure to do on a bird.

I hope Mabel continues to mend.

She is getting stronger. I tube feed puppies and it is much easier to do a chicken.

4-4-14 ~~My Salmon Faverolle, Mabel is on her 3rd day of tube feedings. She would have been dead by now if I had not tried this. She still is not pooping like she should. I gave her a warm bath and belly massage, gave her an enema with cocoanut oil, used a gloved finger to check for blockage. I added olive oil to her blended food. She also gets yogurt. I don't know what else to do. She is nice and warm in the house. The rest is up to God.

Back
Top Bottom