Tube feeding question

Kagen101

Chirping
Oct 27, 2022
Hello so my duck has been sick for a couple weeks now and hasn’t been eating so we have been tube feeding her. We have been tube feeding her 3 times a day, and I was wondering if we tube feed her for too long, will she forget how to eat food regularly? And will she become solely dependent on us to feed her??

So she isn't preening? Do you have her inside or is she staying in the coop. Adding some protein can help her feathers but a good molt will do the best at getting her feathers in shape. So she isn't acting depressed like she has given up on life.
I have 3 Buffs 2 will be 8 end of April one is 4 yrs old.
Hello! So she just pooped something out and it looks really weird do you know what this is? Maybe this has been why she was sick?!
IMG_8486.jpeg

That is a good sign, Hopefully hunger will come just keep it where she can have access and keep tube feeding if she doesn't start. What do think do you feel it is time to say goodby or give her more time?
Yeah I thought so too! Okay sounds good. Oh, I never really thought of saying goodbye yet. I think we will try to do all we can:)

So Clare still isn’t eating and she didn’t eat the mush, she eats grass earth worms and meal worms. But won’t eat feed, do you think two tube feeds a day will be sufficient, we feed her around 50-60 ml a tube.
Try it for a day and see if she will start to eat her feed.

Try it for a day and see if she will start to eat her feed.
So today at 6ish I made them another batch of feed! And Clare ate a little on her own! She was mainly eating the mealworms but she ate some feed too! Thought I would report this good news to you!😁

It's a start good new for sure. Have you thought that maybe you might cut back on any threats you are offering just till she is eating her feed better?
Hey sorry for the late reply!! What do you mean by threats? Like probable causes of why she’s not eating? She is doing well today, it was rainy so she was digging around a lot and got all messy but she’s good, she hasn’t eaten anything, but we tube fed her once today so far.

What besides her feed are you giving her I know you said mealworms. I was just wondering if you cut out everything but her feed if she might start back eating it again.

What besides her feed are you giving her I know you said mealworms. I was just wondering if you cut out everything but her feed if she might start back eating it again.
Oooh okay I see, yeah I mean I give her mealworms every now But not too often, and then we let her forge so she gets like earth worms and bugs, do you think we shouldn’t let her forge? And ofc were tube feeding. What do you think we should limit/stop feeding her 🧐. It’s kinda weird because she almost acts normal now, she’s a little slower than her sisters but she quacks and is sassy as always but she just won’t eat her food, today my brother was just thinking maybe because we changed the food when she got sick she isn’t used to it, because before we have pellets but now we have crumble.

Back
Top Bottom