tube feeding

RobynD

Chirping
6 Years
Jul 1, 2013
Boy this girl is high maintenance! LOL (2nd time she's been sick. Full recovery from first time. Not sure what happened the first time either).

Pheonix, 1.5 pounds right now,
about 4-5 months old.
Been sick for about 1.5-2 weeks. None of the other hens are sick.
She presented with signs of starvation (wings falling, neck bone protruding).
I've been tube feeding her 30 cc every 2 hours of feed, coconut oil, vit e, yogurt, and water. (on day 6)

She has responded well to the food/water but still not normal. She can't shake her body, you know how they do! Her wings still droop. When she hunkers down (like to sleep) she leans to the right. I have no clue what is wrong with her. I did worm her just in case with cayenne pepper. I also gave her garlic for a day in her feedings.

Any clue what this could be? How long do I tube feed her? She will eat dry food on her own (I usually give my flock fermented feed) but not enough to fill her crop, I haven't seen her drink on her own but since I've been tube feeding her she probably isn't thirsty as she's getting enough liquid. She'll preen her neck/chest. She'll peck at the ground. She can get pushed over easily and she can get stuck on her back.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Robyn

Have you considered coccidiosis? The signs are lethargy, puffing up, ruffled feathers, poor appetite, and diarrhea (only bloody diarrhea in certain strains.) Corid (amprollium) is the treatment.

She actually doesn't have diarrhea. Her stools are now firm. Originally they were bright green, but they've turned almost brown. So maybe she's mending???? Not sure what puffing is her body/feathers are not all puffed up. If it were coccidiosis will it clear on it's own?

No I don't think it's coccidiosis after researching that. She is walking around, just not as energetic. No diarrhea. She can jump up about 18 inches to go to bed. Although if she gets on her back she can't get up on her own. And she did jump off her 18" platform 2 days ago and got on her back and stayed there until I got her :( The last two morning she got down okay. She can walk away from me quickly, but I can easily catch her.

Each morning I keep hoping she'll be that much better!

Does anybody know how much I should be tube feeding her though? How many CC's how often? I barely feel her crop at 30 cc's but I'm afraid to fill it much more. She is only 1.5 pounds.

Back
Top Bottom