Tulip Foliage?

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by ClareScifi, Mar 27, 2012.

1. ClareScifi

ClareScifi Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 30, 2011
    My hen ate some tulip foliage tonight. I read that tulip bulbs are toxic to chickens, but I'm wondering how dangerous the tulip foliage is? I noticed tulips aren't marked with an asterisk in the toxic plants list, which is supposed to mean they aren't deadly poisonous, but still, I am worried.

Always something!

2. 3LilBirds

3LilBirds Chillin' With My Peeps

3. CMV

CMV Flock Mistress

Apr 15, 2009
    Chickens generally avoid toxic plants if given their choice (free-range). If toxic plants are the only choice (in an enclosed run) then they will get eaten. I'd keep an extra eye on her, but not worry overmuch about it.

Good luck.

4. ClareScifi

Mar 30, 2011
    Do you think I should take her out some scrambled egg in case her stomach is unsettled?

5. ClareScifi

Mar 30, 2011
    This site claims it is the tulip bulb that is poisonous:

http://www.poultryhelp.com/toxicplants.html#T

However, other sites claim it is all parts of the tulip that are poisonous.

Other poultry sites do not list tulips as being toxic to chickens.

How very confusing!

6. 3LilBirds

I know very confusing. Another site I just looked at said it may or may not cause allergies when eaten. siiigh I guess just keep an eye on her is all you can really do right now.

7. ClareScifi

Mar 30, 2011
    Thanks for your good research, 3LilBirds. That is sure a cute Baby Bird in your Avatar, and she looks just like the cute Bird holding her!

The good news is that Esther Mary seems fine this morning. I had considered taking her scrambled eggs late last night but decided against disturbing the flock.

She greeted me with the 4 others this morning when I went to let them out, and her appetite is quite good, and she seems perky and frisky.

I gave them all scrambled eggs, which they devoured, and plenty of fresh greens in ACV water to flush any toxins out of her system.

Whew! What a close call. I wonder how the allergies would play themselves out? I must listen to her breathing when I get a chance.

I have her separated from the rooster, just in case she doesn't feel up to mating.

8. 3LilBirds

Thanks and thanks for the update. I'm so glad she is ok! It's so scary when any of our fur, feather or human kids are possibly sick. So glad it all turned out well!

9. ClareScifi

Mar 30, 2011
    Me, too! I had thought my chickens were eating my tulips, but now I think they just enjoy shredding them.

10. silkiechicken

silkiechicken Staff PhD Premium Member

Yeah... that... I don't read those do not eat lists. Things in moderation rarely kill, and if birds are eating while foraging I don't worry about them. I certainly would not put known poisonous plants in a run where eating from boredom would happen, but I don't fret green potoato peels, tomato vines, or what ever else is on the danger list.

I had a single turkey eat half a ruhbarb plant at a few months old. This was no small feat.
    Here I am holding a leaf and a flower stalk from said plant:
    [​IMG]

Turkey appeared to show no ill effects from eating the leaves, even as a young poult. Dim wit also ate a few foot tall thissle plants before he became thanksgiving dinner. LOL

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by