Tulip Poplar tree "fruits"

Jay13

Songster
13 Years
Nov 19, 2008
Central NC
Ok, so we just bought 9 poplar trees to provide some much needed shade to our coop/barn and the house. I was doing some research online and I read that birds and squirrels like to eat them... I wondered if anyone feeds them to their chickens or if it would be safe to do so?

I found this:
http://www.dcnr.state.pa.us/forestry/commontr/tuliptre.htm

GENERAL: Also known as Yellow poplar, Tulip poplar, White poplar and Whitewood. A large tree, the tallest of the eastern hardwoods. It grows rapidly and is an important timber and shade tree. The wood is valuable for veneer and many other uses. Songbirds and game birds, rabbits, squirrels and mice feed on the seeds. Whitetail deer browse the young growth.

Any Ideas?​

pop.gif

I'd like to know, too because we have several mature tulip trees and they drive me crazy dropping those sticky missles all over my car and yard. If I found out they would be good for something, it make me feel so much better about them!

.... bump....

Anyone? I have been trying to research this online but haven't found anything else....

I have 2 right in front of my house. We cut one down this winter as it had reached it life span and was cracking down the middle. Every winter I have downy wood peckers and black capped chickadees living within these trees. Ive never really seen any birds eating the "tulips" and really dont have a problem with them falling in the yard. The main part of the flower remains on the tree, drys up and falls in winter.

Quote:
This part that falls in the winter is what they call the fruit or nut of the tree, I was wondering if you could feed this to chickens as it says that wild birds and squirrels eat them... wondered if they would be okay for chickens.....

I couldnt say, my chickens dont really bother them if they fall when there green. After they dry up theres not much too them.

Back
Top Bottom