TULSA area Cluckers

I still have family there so I visit often.... it is amazing how Claremore has changed and grown from the Claremore I grew up in..... Some of the changes are good, but some of them just ruin the nostalgia...

I was there mostly in the 60`s until the mid 70`s but I did live there again for awhile during the 80`s but I have not been to Claremore since 2001 when my Aunt passed away....We thought about moving back but it had grown so much that we decided to stay out here.

Although it has grown... ALOT.... there are still parts that are still pretty rural... especially north of Claremore. My mom has 10 acres and is surrounded by farm land. I am trying to figure out a way to purchase from her, but still haven't been able to.

I would love to turn it into a working mini farm and sell veggies and plants, and grow all of our own meat and have milk goats.

Slow but steady! I have some new Black Copper Marans in quarantine, once they are done I will shuffle everyone around and the Isbars will have their own pen. Rain, the cockerel, is constantly hiding from the BCM rooster who he has grown up with- it's time to separate! I have a blue pullet and a black pullet, and 4 more that just hatched this weekend- two splash, a blue, and a black. Already have preorders for 15-20 chicks! Crazy the demand in the spring.

Might be picking up some more BCM on Friday, but getting tired of people lying to me about their egg color. :( We've bought birds 3 times in the last month and every time they have not lived up to expectations. This is my last shot at getting good ones locally, after this I'm going to go with shipped eggs or chicks from Texas and/or Arkansas. We have our NPIP now so bringing in new birds is a pain in the neck, having to find a tester before we can bring them home. We will be taking all our extra cockerels and roosters to the Coweta auction -it starts back up on Friday. Not expecting much for them but at least there will be less crowing here!!! Mostly BCM but we will be selling Fat Albert, our show quality black Ameraucana rooster. Anyone here interested before we cart him to auction? Non-aggressive and good to his girls, pure Meredith line, 2 years old. He got beat up by our BCM rooster while we were gone over Christmas but he is better now, still growing his tail back though. We were asking $30 but make me an offer....

Last edited:
Great! I got my NPIP done a couple of weeks ago and am just waiting on the actual certificate to come in the mail.

I am planning on attending the Coweta auction this Friday. Have never been before.

I'm not sure if I am on your list for Isbar eggs or chicks. If I'm not, please add me for chicks!

Thanks!
Lori

I have never been to the Coweta auction....

If I wanted to skip raising chicks and just wanted to buy laying hens, would that be a good auction to go too?

The more I think about it, the more I am thinking we are not set up enough to raise chicks, and it would be better just to get almost full grown pullets when we finish our coop.

Rinda...I could take those slacker BCM hens off your hands
wink.png

LOL...
yuckyuck.gif
Well we haven't decided yet who's staying and who's going. I will definitely post when we have it sorted out. Just irks me to drive several hours, not be thrilled about what I saw, and then get home and they are only laying a 4 on the Marans scale.

@NotSuperWoman well we don't have space to raise extras- the only time I have pullets or hens for sale is when I am culling from my breeding pens or growers. 95% of my sales are day old chicks. Let me know if you change your mind and still want chicks.

As far as the Coweta Auction, get there early so you can look over what is in line for the sale, if there isn't anything you are interested in you don't have to wait around that way. As far as getting hens, it's hard to say every time is different. This time of year especially the laying hens are high demand as people gear up for spring.

Great! I got my NPIP done a couple of weeks ago and am just waiting on the actual certificate to come in the mail.

I am planning on attending the Coweta auction this Friday. Have never been before.

I'm not sure if I am on your list for Isbar eggs or chicks. If I'm not, please add me for chicks!

Thanks!
Lori

Lori I have you down for hatching eggs. Are you switching it to chicks or do you want both?
wink.png
You are 3rd on my list.

LOL...
yuckyuck.gif
Well we haven't decided yet who's staying and who's going. I will definitely post when we have it sorted out. Just irks me to drive several hours, not be thrilled about what I saw, and then get home and they are only laying a 4 on the Marans scale.

@NotSuperWoman well we don't have space to raise extras- the only time I have pullets or hens for sale is when I am culling from my breeding pens or growers. 95% of my sales are day old chicks. Let me know if you change your mind and still want chicks.

As far as the Coweta Auction, get there early so you can look over what is in line for the sale, if there isn't anything you are interested in you don't have to wait around that way. As far as getting hens, it's hard to say every time is different. This time of year especially the laying hens are high demand as people gear up for spring.
Thank you...

I know that if I want specialty breeds I will have to get chicks... :) I will probably get two chicks from you. How long is your waiting list? It will probably be at least 1-2 months before we are ready for chicks. We can brood them inside... but we still have to build the coop for them to move too and that probably won't start until next month.

Thank you for the info about Coweta.

Back
Top Bottom