TULSA area Cluckers

It would be best to work on teaching them to go in. If there were a heavy dew or an unexpected thunderstorm they could catch cold and die. You need to go out and put them in the coop each night for about a week. It also helps to have a light in the coop for a few nights that turns on before dusk so as it grows dark outside they feel invited to go in. You can turn it off after they are all in. Do you know what kinds you have? That sounds like an exciting assortment!

We are trying to figure out most of them, but do have 2 identified Polish; a Buff Laced Polish and a White Crested Black Polish. Several have feathered legs and feet and most of these are larger with the exception of one that has so many feathers on her feet they resemble clown shoes. We have identified a Buff Cochin. One with unfeathered legs is reddish .

We had been putting them up each night, but have to wait until after dark to be able catch them. They can go under the coop, and go in and out during the day, but prefer to huddle up in a corner of the run when it gets dark. There is a light on in the coop and we have all the windows open plus there is a cupola on top for extra ventilation. It can be seen in the background of the attached photo.

We are trying to figure out most of them, but do have 2 identified Polish; a Buff Laced Polish and a White Crested Black Polish. Several have feathered legs and feet and most of these are larger with the exception of one that has so many feathers on her feet they resemble clown shoes. We have identified a Buff Cochin. One with unfeathered legs is reddish .

We had been putting them up each night, but have to wait until after dark to be able catch them. They can go under the coop, and go in and out during the day, but prefer to huddle up in a corner of the run when it gets dark. There is a light on in the coop and we have all the windows open plus there is a cupola on top for extra ventilation. It can be seen in the background of the attached photo.

You might try feeding them their favorite treat in the coop right before dark. I think mine are going in between 8 and 8:30. Time it so your doing it at the same time for a week. Lock them in if you can and then let them out in the morning. They will learn quick when it involves food.

I seem to always end up with roosters. Need to rehome one black Ameraucana, two Sultan crosses (at least that is what they look like- 5 toes/white/feathered legs), and a Black Copper Maran. Breaks my heart but need to make my husband & neighbors happy. Please don't tell me if they are destined for the soup pot:(

I feel your pain. I've been trying to rehome a Copper Maran for a month now at least. Every day I say please don't let this be the day he starts crowing!

Hey Tulsa friends! Our girls are 18 weeks as of yesterday! We have 4 hens- 2 buff orpingtons and 2 barred rocks. They are named after the Golden Girls: Sophia, Rose, Blanche and Dorothy. Their combs and wattles have been growing in nicely over the last couple of weeks and are getting a nice, bright red color. We have a fence around our vegetable garden to keep the girls (and the chihuahua who loves veggies) out, but occasionally I will let them come in their with me and have a nibble or two. Last night as I was finishing my pruning, I went to pick up one of my buffs to bring her out of the garden- when I touched her back gently, she did what I can only describe as the "egg squat"! She squatted low to the ground, spread her wings out rigidly and did a little booty shake! I'm so hoping that this means they are about to start laying- though I realize it would be a tad bit early for these heavier breeds. Anyway, I am needing some advice on feed. I have kept the girls on Starter Feed up until now, as it is recommended until 18 weeks. After this bag is finished, I am ready to start them on "big girl feed" but I'll admit, all of my online research just leaves me confused- I keep finding conflicting information. I would like to feed them an organic feed, but want to make sure to minimize risk of disease. I also have read about the "horror" of soy in our food- and know there are also soy-free feed options as well- but those seem to be outrageously expensive. I'm not completely against the idea of making my own food blend, but since I am not an expert, I am concerned about meeting the overall nutritional needs of the girls. Does anyone on here have any recommendations as to which direction I should go- and where I should purchase it locally? I currently buy all of my chicken supplies at Southern Agriculture, but that's mostly due to a lack of options. Any advice you can share is greatly appreciated! Here is a picture of Dorothy- our most outgoing and adventurous one of the bunch:

I will PM you contact information for a friend of mine who does a lot of the same types of things with her chickens, I'm sure she could give you some great resources.

Back
Top Bottom