TULSA area Cluckers

Hey, I'm new to BYC. Love my birds! I have 1 americana, 2 black star and 2 guineas and 1 George (rooster). I am looking for a few more laying hens. I love americanas. But, would be open to small hens as long as they are not agressive. I also, need to rehome George. He's alittle big for my girls. I would like a americana or banty roo if possible. Let me know. I'm still figuring out forums, not been on them before.

I've got some very young Easter Egger roos (about 6 weeks old) for $4 each, or two blue SQ silkie roosters for $20 each.

Do you still have your chicks for sale? I am in Tulsa and need 4 hens for laying eggs. You can call or text me on my cell 405-996-6111. Chris W. Ellison

I have chicks, Easter Eggers, Sapphires, Black Copper Marans mainly. They are straight run though. Not sure if you are hoping for sexed chicks.

Hello Tulsa Area. We live in Broken Arrow and are new to BYC and raising chickens. Early Sept we purchase two Easter Egger 'pullets'. This morning one of those pullets decided to use its voice and it sounded a lot like cock-a-doodle-doo.

We also purchased two Sebright 'pullets' at the end of Sept...1 golden and 1 silver. Someone said they look like roosters too! Oh no, we can't have roosters in the city limits of BA. We will get them all checked on Wendesday to determine if they are male or female. We may have to find homes for these boys. All 3 are real sweet.

Last edited:

BOY^

BOY^ I think

BOY^ I think

Hello Tulsa Area. We live in Broken Arrow and are new to BYC and raising chickens. Early Sept we purchase two Easter Egger 'pullets'. This morning one of those pullets decided to use its voice and it sounded a lot like cock-a-doodle-doo.

We also purchased two Sebright 'pullets' at the end of Sept...1 golden and 1 silver. Someone said they look like roosters too! Oh no, we can't have roosters in the city limits of BA. We will get them all checked on Wendesday to determine if they are male or female. We may have to find homes for these boys. All 3 are real sweet.

Hello, new here!
We are starting our first flock this month sometime. Whenever there coop is ready and perfect for them first. I read the tulsa city ordinance on keep backyard chickens, I'm not clear on the free range tho. I didn't see anything about yes they can free range through the yard, or no they must be kept up in the pen at all times. Anyone else have a better understanding if that's an issue?

Hello, new here!
We are starting our first flock this month sometime. Whenever there coop is ready and perfect for them first. I read the tulsa city ordinance on keep backyard chickens, I'm not clear on the free range tho. I didn't see anything about yes they can free range through the yard, or no they must be kept up in the pen at all times. Anyone else have a better understanding if that's an issue?

I believe the ordinance states they must be penned in a run at all times. But I promise unless a neighbor complains no one cares if they free range in your yard. Worst they can do is write you a warning to keep them locked up from now on. Depending on your fencing though you increase your chance of dog attack (the most common urban predator of chickens).

Welcome to chickens they are fabulous!

Please check the City of Tulsa ordinances. A lot of new requirements in the last year. Expect a Red notice on your door if you have nay contrary neighbors. We were told to get rid of all but 6 hens a couple of months ago. Wasn't worth the hassle and grief so we gave up ! Something about having them only on wire, etc. I think I would ask to speak to a human being in the dog catcher's office before I went to the expense and work again. Same neighbors that we supplied with eggs filed on us !

Well I don't live in a neighborhood of complainers, luckily. There is a duck and guinea down a few houses that don't even have an enclosed pen. They just roam the yard all day with the dog. Not 10 feet away from all the houses. And that duck quack quacks a lot! Also, a rooster is nearby, I just haven't found his house. I just hear him all the time. So hopefully that's some indicator of how my chickens will go. We'll be following all the rules of the ordinance, except one. The free range part. I'm sure I'm going to let them out ;)

What is the best suggestion for buying a variety of hens? I know we can only have 6 so that makes it almost impossible to order. I don't want straight run as I can't take risk of getting a rooster. I want silkies buff orpington cinnamon queen Cochin, a good variety like that. How is it possible to just buy one younger hen of a different breed?

You can order all those breeds as sexed chicks from a hatchery except silkies, silkies are a bantam and bantams are always sold straight run. They are too hard to sex. In fact nearly impossible to sex silkies until 4-5 months old sometimes. You either have to take your chance on straight run with those, or get a young hen instead.

Be aware even with the others there is margin of error on buying sexed chicks (except the cinnamon queen, which is a sexlink and visually sexable). They say 90-95% accuracy on gender guesses from a hatchery.

Yes you can integrate a new bird in with existing birds if that is your question, there are tricks to make it go better. When you're ready just ask and we can walk you through it!

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom