TUMERIC or PREDNISOLONE for Inflammation (and Scratching?)

checkingon

Crowing
15 Years
May 25, 2008
Kingy, my rooster's vet, prescribed him 2.5mg Prednisolone to be taken once a day for 14 days. It's been 10 days since he's been on it. Vet said that dosage is small and a short amount of time that tapering off is not necessary. I know I should listen to her but I hear so many other stories. Kingy is in his senior years so he's very delicate with all the going's on. It does not appear that the prednisolone is working and vet said that it might not possibly due to a very old injury or trauma that happened years ago and that it's showing up now. He's not stable and loses his balance when moving too fast or scratching. His legs are not strong enough to support all the things he took advantage of when he was younger. Even walking up the ramp (which we will adjust) is challenging. He cannot roost anymore because his legs will not support him. Once off the meds, I also heard a lot about Tumeric. Kingy weighs 4 pounds. He shares his food with his mate so they will eat together. I think the best way for Kingy to take Tumeric is to mix with water. Have you done this or heard of this?
His other problem is scratching. He constantly scratches day and night. I don't know if he's getting enough sleep at night. I had set-up a camera to watch him in the coop. He sleeps on the floor and moves quite a bit. Scratching, standing, stumbling. Vet thinks he has some kind of neurological problem but she's not sure. He's free from mites, fleas, and lice. All these years of having chickens and we have had not one problem with that.
I don't have too many options left. I just want to make his life a little more comfortable.

Have you checked him over at night for signs of mites/lice - use a flashlight and take a good look through his feathers in the dark - mites may not be seen during the day and only come out at night. If you find any, then treat with a permethrin based poultry spray or dust. Alternatively he may have feather mites - is he chewing at his feathers? These mites cannot be seen by the naked eye, they are too tiny and live in the feather shaft, this can cause a lot of distress and scratching - treatment for these is usually with Ivermectin. If he is not moving around well and is sitting, not preening or dust bathing he would be more susceptible to getting parasites.

Your vet may be correct that the scratching is neurological - it would be hard to know.

He may benefit from extra vitamins a couple of days a week and protein like egg or tuna.
As for the Tumeric - I don't know much about herbs - I did find it mentioned in a Fresh Eggs daily article - Tumeric is added to the feed. I don't know how palatable it would be in water, so maybe try it in the food first. You definitely want to keep him drinking.
http://www.fresheggsdaily.com/2015/05/spice-up-your-chicken-keeping-for.html

I know you are doing everything you can for Kingy, I hope you can find something to help ease his scratching and distress.
Let us know how he is doing.

Have you checked him over at night for signs of mites/lice - use a flashlight and take a good look through his feathers in the dark - mites may not be seen during the day and only come out at night. If you find any, then treat with a permethrin based poultry spray or dust. Alternatively he may have feather mites - is he chewing at his feathers? These mites cannot be seen by the naked eye, they are too tiny and live in the feather shaft, this can cause a lot of distress and scratching - treatment for these is usually with Ivermectin. If he is not moving around well and is sitting, not preening or dust bathing he would be more susceptible to getting parasites.

Your vet may be correct that the scratching is neurological - it would be hard to know.

He may benefit from extra vitamins a couple of days a week and protein like egg or tuna.
As for the Tumeric - I don't know much about herbs - I did find it mentioned in a Fresh Eggs daily article - Tumeric is added to the feed. I don't know how palatable it would be in water, so maybe try it in the food first. You definitely want to keep him drinking.
http://www.fresheggsdaily.com/2015/05/spice-up-your-chicken-keeping-for.html

I know you are doing everything you can for Kingy, I hope you can find something to help ease his scratching and distress.
Let us know how he is doing.
Before contacting the vet, I showed pictures of his legs and she told me to pick up Scalex Spray but upon inspection she did not see any mites. But I did not do the night inspection yet. Will do it tonight but I don't know what they look like or what to look for. Where specifically should I look? This is so new to me. Since I purchased the spray, I did spray him on his legs and under wings a week ago. And, it didn't change. He's still scratching.
I'll check the store tomorrow for Ivermectin and/or Permethrin. I do hope these come as a spray. And, I will begin giving him eggs or tuna. I'm sure he'll like that. I do occasionally give them the electrolytes added to their water.

Oct 13, 2017 Back of Neck.JPG
Oct 13, 2017 Back of Neck (2).JPG

I took these pictures tonight, back of his neck where he scratches the most. I hope you are able to blow it up. It looks bad, doesn't it? What is it? Are these mites? He just got most of his feathers back after molting. What are the brown spots and it looks like its breaking or cracking? I don't see anything under his wings but again, I don't know really what to look for or what I'm looking at. Since I had the Scalex Spray, I sprayed it on his legs, under his wings, and back of neck.
IMG_2814.JPG

Since you have the Scalex, use that - it reads to repeat 2x a week (or look at the directions on your bottle). Since it's fairly small bottle and you may want to pick up some Permethrin and use that to treat your housing. Even if you treat the bird, the mite/lice can still re-infest if they are in the coop/bedding.

For his legs they do look a bit scaly, wash them in warm soapy water, give them a gentle scrub, then apply some vaseline, coconut oil, A+D ointment, Nustock or similar - oils/ointments help heal, soothe and smother any Scaly Leg Mites. Here's some good photos of mites/lice http://www.the-chicken-chick.com/2012/08/poultry-lice-and-mites-identification.html

It's a little hard to see in the photos, but he may have some Mite/Lice debris. He has been molting, I do see where the keratin sheaths have not fallen completely off those will eventually come off when he preens and/or dust bathes. A molting bird can be somewhat itchy.

I don't remember if you said what you feed him or not - but hopefully by boosting his protein and getting some extra vitamins into him - he will complete his molt.

I tried to circle a couple of places where you see the feathers have not completely lost their sheath and are still growing out. You may find little pieces of flakes here and there that can look like dandruff.
upload_2017-10-14_8-45-33.png

Here's a good example of what an emerging feather with a sheath looks like - your fella will lose his that sheath when his feathers grow out more.
upload_2017-10-14_8-52-18.png

Photo reference from here: https://www.backyardchickens.com/th...overs-around-bottom-of-crest-feathers.543549/

I just wanted to add that the dosage and length of time for the prednisolone sounds perfectly okay--no need to ween or taper down on short term use. Since it didn't work, I would look for other treatments. Since he just molted, the scratching might be just from that. Are you keeping him outside in the coop, or inside your house where the humidity is much lower? WR has given you good advice.

Since you have the Scalex, use that - it reads to repeat 2x a week (or look at the directions on your bottle). Since it's fairly small bottle and you may want to pick up some Permethrin and use that to treat your housing. Even if you treat the bird, the mite/lice can still re-infest if they are in the coop/bedding.

For his legs they do look a bit scaly, wash them in warm soapy water, give them a gentle scrub, then apply some vaseline, coconut oil, A+D ointment, Nustock or similar - oils/ointments help heal, soothe and smother any Scaly Leg Mites. Here's some good photos of mites/lice http://www.the-chicken-chick.com/2012/08/poultry-lice-and-mites-identification.html

It's a little hard to see in the photos, but he may have some Mite/Lice debris. He has been molting, I do see where the keratin sheaths have not fallen completely off those will eventually come off when he preens and/or dust bathes. A molting bird can be somewhat itchy.

I don't remember if you said what you feed him or not - but hopefully by boosting his protein and getting some extra vitamins into him - he will complete his molt.

I tried to circle a couple of places where you see the feathers have not completely lost their sheath and are still growing out. You may find little pieces of flakes here and there that can look like dandruff.
View attachment 1160012

Here's a good example of what an emerging feather with a sheath looks like - your fella will lose his that sheath when his feathers grow out more.
View attachment 1160014
Photo reference from here: https://www.backyardchickens.com/th...overs-around-bottom-of-crest-feathers.543549/
This is so very interesting. You have helped me so much. I struggle to see Kingy with his weak legs and constant scratching. I will definitely do what you're suggesting because I'm clueless. The only thing is trying to have him eat turmeric which has a strong taste and odor. I don't think I have too many options left. The Prednisolone may have been helping but I don't know if I'd want to keep him on it. Any suggestions? He looks tired. Sometimes when he does fall on his side, he just lays there for a few minutes. Very heartbreaking.

I have never seen him scratch this long. How long will his molting last? Is there anything to relieve him of his itch? I noticed his feathers, mostly on his tail and part of body dropped in July/August and just about a few weeks ago maybe three, he looks so much better. The only place I think bothers him with the itch are around his neck area.

Don't know what he's eating because it is locally put together for game cocks. It's a blend or mix of various seeds (sunflower, millet, etc), corn, and oyster shell pieces. Currently under vets suggestion; one Tablespoon of canned cat food everyday. Sometimes, I give them electrolytes added to their water. They are not keen on eating human food like yogurt, some veges (lettuce, cabbage). They love bananas, maybe blueberries. I will try tuna. I 've tried the egg with turmeric which they ignored.

Steroids can be very rough on any immune system. If the only reason he is on it is for anti inflammatory purposes, I would definitely be using herbs instead!

Anti inflammatory herbs you could use:
  • Yes, tumeric, definitely!
  • Cinnamon
  • Green Tea
  • Cayenne pepper/powder (chickens don't have heat receptors in their mouths, so it won't burn him!)
  • Any hot peppers you might have
  • Ginger!
  • Rosemary
  • Sage

I just wanted to add that the dosage and length of time for the prednisolone sounds perfectly okay--no need to ween or taper down on short term use. Since it didn't work, I would look for other treatments. Since he just molted, the scratching might be just from that. Are you keeping him outside in the coop, or inside your house where the humidity is much lower? WR has given you good advice.
Thank you. Actually that's what the vet prescribed but I was frightened two days ago when he stumbled and laid on his side for over 5 minutes. That drew me in a panic and all I could think of was the meds.
He's not human-handled (long story) so he stays in the coop. Warm weather here all year except when it's winter and raining current temp 71 degrees outside.

Steroids can be very rough on any immune system. If the only reason he is on it is for anti inflammatory purposes, I would definitely be using herbs instead!

Anti inflammatory herbs you could use:
  • Yes, tumeric, definitely!
  • Cinnamon
  • Green Tea
  • Cayenne pepper/powder (chickens don't have heat receptors in their mouths, so it won't burn him!)
  • Any hot peppers you might have
  • Ginger!
  • Rosemary
  • Sage
Maybe you can help me with herbs! I'm desperate! When he completes his meds, I want to give him a daily dose of turmeric but he doesn't like it. I've followed the recipe on a website mixing coconut oil, fresh ground black pepper, turmeric; following measurements to the tee and used it on scrambled eggs (with no luck, the ants had a picnic), oats (no luck, one sniff that's it). Kingy and Blackie are not domesticated. They are still very much afraid of people, get scared easily, will run (in pen). The easiest to handle them is at night. They eat off the ground. I just throw it on the ground as they love to scratch (grass all gone).
Please advise. I read about the benefits of turmeric and have so much hope thinking it'll work for him but he hates the taste and smell? How do I use the other herbs? They really don't anything humans eat. Are these herbs I could just throw into their pen? What is the dosage, if any? And, do I feed it to them daily.

Back
Top Bottom