Tumor or abscess or what?? Hen isn't happy.

ericstac

In the Brooder
9 Years
Jun 11, 2010
I wanted to get yalls input on this hen. Yesterday I noticed her hanging out by a tree not really moving just standing around. I went out this morning and found her still standing in the same spot so I walked over to her and picked her up. I immediately noticed a dirty butt so I got a warm bath ready and soaked her real good thinking she just needed to be cleaned up.

Well, it ended up being the hard tissue thing attached to her backside about an inch from her vent hole. The vent hole is perfect and the other tissue around the area is fine but this thing isn't looking good. It is almost like a narly tumor hanging off her and while I was messing with it I noticed a hole and some pretty nasty gunk on the inside of it.
Any ideas on what to do? I'm going to go out and see if she will eat or drink.

UPDATE:

She will not eat or drink, even tried sugar water.

I put the tip of her beak in the water and she just stands there stiff as a board. and seems like she is sort of shaking (like if she was cold) its about 65 degrees outside..

It sounds like she may have a prolapsed vent, but a picture in good light may help. If her prolapsed tissue is black, it may be dead rissue from drying out. A prolapse normally is red tissue, and it needs to be kept lubricated and moist until it can be pushed back inside. Preparation H, honey, or sugar can help to shrink the tissue, but the dark or black tissue needs to be debrided or scrubbed off so that pink tissue is seen. Otherwise,if it is pushed back inside like that, part of the cloaca may die. I will give you some good links in a few minutes of prolapsed cloacas and treatment when I get to my computer.

I can't really see what's going on, but it looks like it needs more cleaning. Maybe it's an injury, or fly strike, but it could be a tumor. Either way, it's still too dirty and needs more cleaning. Would be best if you could get her to a bet. If you can't do that, get her inside and in a warm room (80-85 degrees), and get that are really clean. Remove all black, brown, and yellow "stuff" healthy tissue will be pink.

Last edited:
After enlarging the picture, it may be something else, but I agree with Kathy that a better picture is needed. Be sure and try to get her to take some sips of water held up with a spoon or given with a dropper. Adding some SaveAChick or electrolytes, Gatorade, or Pedialyte will be good. Offer some chopped scrambled egg. If the prolapse has been there for a couple of days, it could be too late. Other chickens will attack a red object sticking out of the vent, and cause more damage. Separate her and keep her warm. Here are the articles to read:
http://www.the-chicken-chick.com/2012/04/prolapse-vent-causes-treatment-graphic.html
https://www.beautyofbirds.com/Prolapse.htm

Last edited:
Hi, sorry your hen is having trouble.
sad.png

She does sound very uncomfortable. Do you know how long it's been since she ate or drank?

Better than sugar water is electrolytes... recipe is... 2 cups warm water, 2 Tablespoons brown sugar, 1/2 teaspoon each salt and baking soda. Mix until dissolved and serve full strength.

For birds who won't drink on their own, I use my finger tip to drip just below the nostrils. And when it rolls around into their beak, they will gobble and swallow.

If indeed I thought it was a boil or abscess I would do a hot compress to bring stuff to the surface and try to lance and drain it, if I wasn't able to seek veterinary help. And I would dress with Neosporin or something to that effect.

But you got lots of good advice coming from members with more experience than me so I will follow along and hope for the best!
fl.gif

It's been my experience that it's best to warm the sick bird *before* giving fluids of any type, this is also what is in many avian veterinary text books and videos. Once the bird is warm, one can give fluids, and it's best to tube those fluids at 2-3 ml per 100 grams (fluids should be warmed to 100-102 degrees). Repeat in 60-90 minutes if crop is clear or mostly clear.

Force feeding/watering a bird that's too cold can be harmful.

It sounds like she may have a prolapsed vent, but a picture in good light may help. If her prolapsed tissue is black, it may be dead rissue from drying out. A prolapse normally is red tissue, and it needs to be kept lubricated and moist until it can be pushed back inside. Preparation H, honey, or sugar can help to shrink the tissue, but the dark or black tissue needs to be debrided or scrubbed off so that pink tissue is seen. Otherwise,if it is pushed back inside like that, part of the cloaca may die. I will give you some good links in a few minutes of prolapsed cloacas and treatment when I get to my computer.

X2. Can you explain how to debride (you're so go at explaining these things :D). I usually just start picking away at the dirty/black stuff until I see pink and/or blood.

Yeah her vent is perfect. This is like an inch or two away. I will try to get a better pic. It's hard to get with one person though.
I'm not really sure how long it has been. I just noticed her acting funny yesterday.

Back
Top Bottom