Tumor? What is this?

Jiannax11

In the Brooder
5 Years
Jul 31, 2014
Hi, my Barred Rock chicken has something down right below her stomach. She was recently sick but got better, and is still
Healing from the other chickens pecking at her. But today I noticed this big lump on her stomach, it feels gushy. She hasn't laid one egg in the past 4 days either. What could this be?

:welcome!

For my own sight of the pictures (don't trust things I say (sometimes I'm right), I'm not an avian vet) that doesn't look like a tumor. It looks more of a swollen gland or something in her abdomen is full of fluids. It could be all the yolks been crushed up together and become squishy. I think the only way to remove that is surgically drain the fluid out of her. You say she recently got sick but got better, could be the virus or the infection comes back or spread to other parts. Hope this help!

Last edited:
Welcome... To... BYC!!!

For my own sight of the pictures (don't trust things I say (sometimes I'm right), I'm not an avian vet) that's doesn't look like a tumor. It looks more of a swollen gland or something in her abdomen is full of fluids. It could be all the yolks been crushed up together and become squishy. I think the only way to remove that is surgically drain the fluid out of her. You say she recently got sick but got better, could be the virus or the infection comes back or spread to other parts. Hope this help!

Thanks! I also read online it could be egg binding. But I don't know how to check inside a chickens vent for an egg. Where is the vent? I'm afraid I'll hurt her. I don't know where the vent is and can't find it online

Thanks! I also read online it could be egg binding. But I don't know how to check inside a chickens vent for an egg. Where is the vent? I'm afraid I'll hurt her. I don't know where the vent is and can't find it online
Finding the cloaca/vent can be a disturbance to the chicken itself but is easy to find because you'll see a hole or a ring like layer of fat around the hole. As for the hen, monitor for any new symptoms, draining the fluid would be a problem to do because I've heard somewhere you can do it at home but I suggest take her to an avian vet because is a not to complicated surgery but DIY at home, I wouldn't suggests it. Your welcome!

Finding the cloaca/vent can be a disturbance to the chicken itself but is easy to find because you'll see a hole or a ring like layer of fat around the hole. As for the hen, monitor for any new symptoms, draining the fluid would be a problem to do because I've heard somewhere you can do it at home but I suggest take her to an avian vet because is a not to complicated surgery but DIY at home, I wouldn't suggests it. Your welcome!

Okay so I called the avian vet and I'm scheduling an appointment for next week. are you 90% sure it has to be drainage? I don't think there's an egg in there because I let her soak in the bath for awhile to sooth it, I also fed her lots of calcium, nothing worked. I hope it's just a simple drainage!

Okay so I called the avian vet and I'm scheduling an appointment for next week. are you 90% sure it has to be drainage? I don't think there's an egg in there because I let her soak in the bath for awhile to sooth it, I also fed her lots of calcium, nothing worked. I hope it's just a simple drainage!
I'm possibly 90% sure that your fowl friend needs draining and the draining would be a simple and not too long surgery. I'm not 100% sure what's in her abdomen that's making her bloat but the vet will diagnose. (P.S. Don't take my answers too seriously because I'm not a vet and 100% sure on what I say. These things are common but sometimes other viruses or bacteria cause the fluid buildup. When you visit the vet, tell him/her about your hen being sick and then feel better and just, tell him/her what happened.) Hopefully your fowl friend is alright! ;)

Things To Do White Wait For Appointment:
1. Monitor for any symptoms
2. Check abnormal signs of poop, especially diarrhea
3. (You don't have to do this one, I don't think your hen is sick) Quarantine your hen from the flock
4. See if she is lethargy, and can't eat/drink/walk

Last edited:
I'm possibly 90% sure that your fowl friend needs draining and the draining would be a simple and not too long surgery. I'm not 100% sure what's in her abdomen that's making her bloat but the vet will diagnose. (P.S. Don't take my answers too seriously because I'm not a vet and 100% sure on what I say. These things are common but sometimes other viruses or bacteria cause the fluid buildup. When you visit the vet, tell him/her about your hen being sick and then feel better and just, tell him/her what happened.) Hopefully your fowl friend is alright! ;)

Okay thanks so much for all your help!!! :)

Things To Do White Wait For Appointment:
1. Monitor for any symptoms
2. Check abnormal signs of poop, especially diarrhea
3. (You don't have to do this one, I don't think your hen is sick) Quarantine your hen from the flock
4. See if she is lethargy, and can't eat/drink/walk

Hi I'm sorry to bother, but I have a vet appointment tomorrow. Do you know what kind of catheter I should bring so they can drain the fluids???

Hi I'm sorry to bother, but I have a vet appointment tomorrow. Do you know what kind of catheter I should bring so they can drain the fluids???
I don't think you need a catheter. The vet or the surgeon will have all the equipments. :D I didn't think you would believe me or schedule a vet appointment right away because I'm a 2 years chickens owner and I'm only 14.

Last edited:
I don't think you need a catheter. The vet or the surgeon will have all the equipments. :D I didn't think you would believe me or schedule a vet appointment right away because I'm a 2 years chickens owner and I'm only 14.

Same!! I've had chickens for 2 years and I'm 17 :) but I researched everything you said, and I want my baby to live. So the vet should take care of it

Back
Top Bottom