Tumor? What is this?

Same!! I've had chickens for 2 years and I'm 17 :) but I researched everything you said, and I want my baby to live. So the vet should take care of it
How's the procedure and did the vet diagnose fluids in the abdomen? I've found an article online saying 6 common causes of a swollen abdomen.

How's the procedure and did the vet diagnose fluids in the abdomen? I've found an article online saying 6 common causes of a swollen abdomen.

We are going to farm vet in 30 minutes. I'll definitely let you know what happens!! :)

I'm sad to say she didn't make it, she was euthanized. It was a tumor the size of a goose egg. :(

I'm sad to say she didn't make it, she was euthanized. It was a tumor the size of a goose egg. :(
I'm so sorry for your loss. I'm so sorry and feel very guilty about what I said is a fluid fill abdomen. Anyways, did the vet said what was the cause of it? Like, sometimes tumors in poultry are cause by Marek's Disease. Was she in contact with any other poultry?

Here's the website I found about swollen abdomen in chickens: http://www.hobbyfarms.com/6-causes-of-swollen-abdomen-in-chickens-2/

Last edited:
I'm so sorry for your loss. I'm so sorry and feel very guilty about what I said is a fluid fill abdomen. Anyways, did the vet said what was the cause of it? Like, sometimes tumors in poultry are cause by Marek's Disease. Was she in contact with any other poultry?

Here's the website I found about swollen abdomen in chickens: http://www.hobbyfarms.com/6-causes-of-swollen-abdomen-in-chickens-2/

It's okay, I actually thought it was fluid too! But she had a tumor. We aren't sure what caused it, the vet was just a farm vet and hadn't seen many chickens. We got X-rays done and diagnosed her before putting her down. She was around my other hens, yes. I really hope it wasn't Mareks disease, oh my gosh... I wish I could've done something

Last edited:
It's okay, I actually thought it was fluid too! But she had a tumor. We aren't sure what caused it, the vet was just a farm vet and hadn't seen many chickens. We got X-rays done and diagnosed her before putting her down. She was around my other hens, yes. I really hope it wasn't Mareks disease, oh my gosh... I wish I could've done something
I would suggest monitor your other hens also, just in case if it's Marek's Disease (highly unlikely). And also, your hen that died is in a better place now... My rooster died 2 years ago because of an angry neighbor but is in a better place...

Last edited:
I would suggest monitor your other hens also, just in case if it's Marek's Disease (highly unlikely). And also, your hen that died is in a better place now... My rooster died 2 years ago because of an angry neighbor but is in a better place...

Aw it's so sad. Sorry for your loss. Thank you for all of your help, I will continue monitoring the rest of my babies.

Late to your thread. I'm so sorry that it ended up being a tumor. A swollen abdomen could be different things, but it did look like it could have been fluid etc. It's a hard call when it's an animal/bird and they can't tell us anything. But it's really good that you were vigilant and saw that she had swelling and did something about it. Otherwise your hen may have suffered unnecessarily.
Your hen was a very lucky hen that you cared so much about her.

It's hard to say why she had the tumor. It could be anything from just being an unlucky bird, to it being hereditary to who knows. It's always good practice to keep an eye on the rest of your birds as you're doing...just in case. Chances are that this was most likely an isolated incident.
The very best to you and your flock.
thumbsup.gif

Late to your thread. I'm so sorry that it ended up being a tumor. A swollen abdomen could be different things, but it did look like it could have been fluid etc. It's a hard call when it's an animal/bird and they can't tell us anything. But it's really good that you were vigilant and saw that she had swelling and did something about it. Otherwise your hen may have suffered unnecessarily.
Your hen was a very lucky hen that you cared so much about her.

It's hard to say why she had the tumor. It could be anything from just being an unlucky bird, to it being hereditary to who knows. It's always good practice to keep an eye on the rest of your birds as you're doing...just in case. Chances are that this was most likely an isolated incident.
The very best to you and your flock. :thumbsup

Thank you so very much! Yes all I can do is hope for the best and keep an eye on the rest of the girls :)

Back
Top Bottom