tuna

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by farmerKEN, Jun 7, 2010.

1. farmerKEN

farmerKEN Out Of The Brooder

May 26, 2009
    Western Mass
    Should I be worried about mercury in canned tuna or is it okay to give my hens canned tuna (in water not oil) as a treat?

2. Orchid

Orchid Chillin' With My Peeps

May 10, 2010
    North Central MN
    I think, and I could be wrong, that feeding fish to your chickens is going to give you funny tasting eggs and/or chicken meat.

3. joletabey

joletabey SDWD!!!!

Apr 9, 2009
    western NC
    I feed mine salmon and mackerel as treats, and the eggs taste fine.

4. roverjohn

roverjohn Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 7, 2010
    KCMO
    Mine got sardines, in oil, last night and ate every piece.

5. AlaskGirl

AlaskGirl Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 19, 2010
    This is the second time someone posted my questions too, thanks! I figured I'd just throw a tuna sandy in and sure enough, it's what they went for first...

6. farmerKEN

farmerKEN Out Of The Brooder

May 26, 2009
    Western Mass
    so I shouldn't worry about mercury?

Mine have only had one can so far. They ate it faster than anything else Ive given them.

7. Mahonri

Mahonri Urban Desert Chicken Enthusiast Premium Member

May 14, 2008
    North Phoenix
    My Coop
    I regularly give my chickens tuna and salmon. It's suppose to add Omega IIIs to the eggs and make them healthier for you.

8. kayri

kayri Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 6, 2007
    RI
    I don't think there are any studies specifically on chickens, tuna and mercury content, or if the mercury which is in the canned tuna goes into the egg or stays in the chicken. Because there is no info, I'd use the same guidelines as I do for my kids, not more than one can a month, but my kids are bigger than chickens, so I'd feed them a little less. Heck, feed them flounder or cod instead, it's safer. . .

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by