Turkens

geina

Songster
Feb 8, 2017
Ohio
i have three turken roosters I want to breed them with a leghorn and a ee, anyone have experience with turkens to give me any advice or tips? Just curious as to how the little ones will turn out or if it's even possible. Thanks a bunch you all are great.

What do you mean by "Just curious as to how the little ones will turn out or if it's even possible."?
Are you asking about if the chicks would be naked necks or something else?

I am wanting to use my leghorn hen and turken roo to hatch little ones am asking if if he could breed my hen and if it would even work to hatch out little ones.

Yes he will breed a leghorn hen or any other hen. A leghorn most likely will never go broody but would lay fertile eggs that you could incubate or have a different broody hen hatch.
Why would you think there would be an issue?
Are you believing a turkey is half chicken half turkey or what?

Hi, hope you are enjoying BYC! :frow

Too bad I wasn't interested in genetics way earlier in life... but chicken math changes things. :D

Anyways, couple things I have learned...

NN or Naked Neck Turken are a chicken. And the NN gene is dominant and ALL offspring will be naked necked.. in this instance leghorn crosses.

And White I believe is also a dominant gene. So white birds may have other colors hidden but should produce all white offspring.

So I think you will get white naked neck offspring. (if your leghorn is white). Actually I think white might be my favorite color NN. :love

Oh and then the EE... How cool would a bearded but naked neck chicken be?! I'm not sure if straight or pea comb is dominant. And some things will pass to a specific gender. So it can get a little confusing. But hey, learnin' something new everyday. Happy hatching! :pop

OK so this is kinda a stupid 3rd reply in a row.. :oops:

But in reality you MIGHT be able to breed a chicken and a turkey and hatch out offspring. But that offspring would then be sterile (like a donkey cross with horse equals mule), and therefor unable to breed and produce offspring of their own. :confused:

Too many thoughts! :barnie:D

Hi, hope you are enjoying BYC! :frow

Too bad I wasn't interested in genetics way earlier in life... but chicken math changes things. :D

Anyways, couple things I have learned...

NN or Naked Neck Turken are a chicken. And the NN gene is dominant and ALL offspring will be naked necked.. in this instance leghorn crosses.

And White I believe is also a dominant gene. So white birds may have other colors hidden but should produce all white offspring.

So I think you will get white naked neck offspring. (if your leghorn is white). Actually I think white might be my favorite color NN. :love

Oh and then the EE... How cool would a bearded but naked neck chicken be?! I'm not sure if straight or pea comb is dominant. And some things will pass to a specific gender. So it can get a little confusing. But hey, learnin' something new everyday. Happy hatching! :pop

One quick thing.
NN is dominate so if they get one NN gene They will be NN. But if a bird has one gene for it then half their offspring will get the gene and be NN but the other half won't get it and be non NN.
If a chicken has two copies then yes all offspring will be NN.
Usually if a bird has two copies they will have a naked neck all the way to their crop. If one gene they will have a patch on their lower neck. Some call it a "bow tie" NN

Back
Top Bottom