Turkenstein25's Turkey Talk for 2015

#8 & #9 ... "Hello? Is anyone out there?"

Just took this one before I took them out and introduced them to Mama ... She assumed the position and called them to her, and looked at me like... How do you keep getting my babies and how many more are there?!

#10 has pipped and I'm guessing the zipping will be done by this evening... And if I don't see anymore pips then I will candle again...

At this rate the first born will be a week older than the last! Lol

I am still so thankful and amazed!

Just took this one before I took them out and introduced them to Mama ... She assumed the position and called them to her, and looked at me like... How do you keep getting my babies and how many more are there?!

#10 has pipped and I'm guessing the zipping will be done by this evening... And if I don't see anymore pips then I will candle again...

They are so cute! These birds just continue to amaze me!
love.gif

I had to take some chicks back out to a hen that abandoned her eggs after the first few hatched. So I hatched them and then took them all out there and rubbed them on her so they would smell like her. She has been caring for them since.

Cute lil buggers.

Glad they are still hatching for u.

Thanks
1f607.png
!

I am amazed at the mothering! My blue frizzle quit mothering at 3 weeks, they're locked in a run with the parents so she can't get away from them but she left them to sleep alone on the floor while she went back to the nest and has been laying again... They're 5 weeks now and roost already..

Thanks
1f607.png
!

I am amazed at the mothering! My blue frizzle quit mothering at 3 weeks, they're locked in a run with the parents so she can't get away from them but she left them to sleep alone on the floor while she went back to the nest and has been laying again... They're 5 weeks now and roost already..

Turkeys are good mothers. I have a hen who's nest was bust. But a chicken chick got into the pen and she is raising it like she hatched it herself.

she is doing a great job so far. idk if i should take some away from her or let her keep all of them. not sure how my tom and other hens will act towards her and the poults since she has been in a separate pen the majority of the time she was on the nest. she has 7 right now. 3 left to hatch. 2 have already started. im sure she will get off the nest tomorrow

she is doing a great job so far. idk if i should take some away from her or let her keep all of them. not sure how my tom and other hens will act towards her and the poults since she has been in a separate pen the majority of the time she was on the nest. she has 7 right now. 3 left to hatch. 2 have already started. im sure she will get off the nest tomorrow
Love it! My girl Godiva has 9 now, 10 will hatch by morning, leaving 7 in the incubator... Do they lay so many to perpetuate the species due to predation? Is that something left over from the wild? Or are they truly capable of raising 20 babies without human interference?

What do you feed your turkey poults?

I paid 8 dollars for 5lbs of gamebird starter, but, cannot find larger quantities, and wonder if there are better alternatives. I don't want to spend a fortune feeding the turkeys if there is a cheaper but still good alternative. I want them to be in the best condition they can be, so, I'm not trying to cut corners to save money, but, want to make sure I haven't overlooked a more affordable alternative.

Are there homemade versions?

Back
Top Bottom