turkey and a rooster mated

hardmanzz93

In the Brooder
9 Years
Jan 4, 2011
hey there...
a friend asked me today her mother has only a rooster and a turkey in a coup together..and the turkey has just had a chick....is there a name for these cross breeds?? any piks to what it will look like????

I don't believe that the Chicken (rooster) is the "father" of the Turkey's chick.
Perhaps the Turkey has been around other Turkeys lately.

-Junkmanme-
old.gif

thats the thing they are locked in a coup and run with a roof nothing can get in or out??

there is a BIT (and I mean a little bit) of information if you do a search. It may happen in rare occasions. It seems there is some cell development if a rooster inseminates a turkey, but never do they produce viable chicks in the big studies that try it. There is one reference here to one hatching and growing for a bit.

http://www.messybeast.com/genetics/hybrid-birds.htm

It seems some breeds and strains of turkeys are prone to parthenogenesis, where they effectively lay clones of themselves. They require no fertilization. Sometimes fertilization can help trigger embryo growth, even if it is clone of the mother.

But I wouldn't be so quick to assume without knowing more details. How long were they housed together? Do they EVER leave the coop? How long was the turkey sitting? Chicks don't just appear if hens don't sit on eggs.

I'm skeptical. But interested to see photos as this chick develops.

edited for poor spelling.

Last edited:
called an old friend thats a native australian and he told me that turkeys can hold fertilisation for up to 2-3 years she has had it isolated with the roo for 2 years but then again these are some wierd looking chicks!!!

Back
Top Bottom