Wierd bump on head ? Chick breed?

Rdh1223

In the Brooder
Mar 30, 2024
So this little guy has a bump on his head but my Google search doesn't really help. Anyone have any thoughts ?

The types I thought I purchased

1) starlight green egger
2) easter egger
3)olive egger
4) prarie bluebell egger
5) blue australorp
6) Golden comet
7) red cross

She's my favorite chick and her name is Snowball, so hoping she's not a rooster or some none cold hardy breed...

Attachments

• 20240410_191151.jpg
    20240410_191151.jpg
    306.5 KB · Views: 65
  • 20240410_191148.jpg
    20240410_191148.jpg
    321.2 KB · Views: 15
  • 20240410_191139.jpg
    20240410_191139.jpg
    254.8 KB · Views: 15
So this little guy has a bump on his head but my Google search doesn't really help. Anyone have any thoughts ?
The chick is growing a crest of feathers on the head.

1) starlight green egger
2) easter egger
3)olive egger
4) prarie bluebell egger
5) blue australorp
6) Golden comet
7) red cross

She's my favorite chick and her name is Snowball, so hoping she's not a rooster or some none cold hardy breed...

I can't tell whether the chick is a male or a female at this age.

It could be one of the "egger" types. Some of them may have crests.

But to me, the chick looks like a Silver Spangled Appenzeller Spitzhauben.
Examples on the websites of two hatcheries:
https://www.hoovershatchery.com/appenzellarspitzhauben.html
https://www.cacklehatchery.com/product/silver-spangled-appenzeller-spitzhauben/
Cackle has LOTS of photos, including a variety of ages.

Chicks often change their appearance a bit as they grow, so I'd love to see photos later, to see how this one turns out :)

It would be easier to figure out if I knew which one of the 7 breeds listed above snowball is supposed to be... next time I'll have to think of a way to label them or something

It would be easier to figure out if I knew which one of the 7 breeds listed above snowball is supposed to be... next time I'll have to think of a way to label them or something
Did you buy them in a store, or buy from an individual, or order directly from a hatchery?

Did you buy them in a store, or buy from an individual, or order directly from a hatchery?
I purchased from an Agway in Connecticut. They had the most selection and use two different hatcheries. I'm hoping it's a sapphire olive egger...

I purchased from an Agway in Connecticut. They had the most selection and use two different hatcheries. I'm hoping it's a sapphire olive egger...
In that case, it will definitely be some breed or mix that came from a hatchery.

If Sapphire Olive Eggers have blue feathers all over, like in all the pictures I can find, then that chick (Snowball) is not one. Snowball has some pattern of black and silver, and does not seem to have any blue at all (Blue is a gene that turns black into a gray color, everywhere it is present on the chicken.)

1) starlight green egger
2) easter egger
3)olive egger
4) prarie bluebell egger
5) blue australorp
6) Golden comet
7) red cross
If you are trying to sort out what chick goes with what type, you could post a photo of each chick, and we could try to match them up.

For keeping track in future: maybe hold each chick in front of the sign that tells the breed, and take a photo. That will give you a reference for which chick goes with which breed name. Or write the breed on a piece of paper, stand the chick on the paper, and take a photo that way.

Assuming the labels are correct, that would make it easy to match them with their breeds in the first few weeks. And if the labels are wrong, it would be easier to figure out which ones are off. (For example, if Snowball was sold as a Blue Australorp or a Golden Comet, the label was definitely wrong.)

Back
Top Bottom