Turkey and guinea fowl with chickens?

we have 6 guineas that share a coop with our 5 chickens and have had no issues! their feed is inside and we put up a roost on the covered enclosed run and the guineas almost always sleep outside on that roost, and the chickens inside.
they do stick to their own kind tho..the guineas all stay together and i just love them...they are so quirky and funny to watch (they are very loud tho, so keep that in mind if you are considering them!)

ah...well they havent breeded yet! uh oh!
they are about 6 months old right now. And, they free range the entire day...we have just over an acre and they always visit our farm neighbours too, so they span a couple acres every day and really dont pay too much attention to the chickens as of yet. they just kind of steer clear of each other. maybe it helps that they roost in separate areas?

That helps. If you have not been through a breeding season yet, you have an experience coming as they chase around as fast as they can go and break feathers off of each other's backs. Their preferred method of attack is from the rear.

It can be funny to watch a grown tom turkey dragging a guinea on a "sled ride" as the guinea hangs on to a tail or wing feather but it really stresses out the turkey. It also gets old having chickens without tail feathers and in worst case scenarios bloody and dead.

Good luck with yours.

Oh my goodness!!
Lol that sounds crazy!
We don't have turkeys...but are you saying the guineas will drag the chickens around? Or try to mate with the chickens?

I have 7 chickens, that get along great with my 6 goats. I was considering on getting some guineas, but I'm not sure about it now. do the guineas need to have their own coop? or will they roost with the chickens? I don't want to upset the apple cart with my chickens

Ok. So again I am no expert on this, but our guineas when it's very cold will go inside and roost with the chickens, they did as keets as well. Now they choose to roost outside in the covered run.
Our friends who we got our 6 guineas from have a whole bunch of chickens and guineas and hey all roost together inside the coop every night. No issues except on the days when they do not go out to free range they bug each other. But nothing serious that they have experienced anyway.
Seems like space is a big factor here!

This is true if you live in an area where blackhead is present. For those of us that do not have blackhead around it is not a problem. But just because an area is and has been blackhead free does not mean that it will always be blackhead free.
True... there is a peafowl breeder that went many years without blackhead, then boom, it hit.

Last edited:
I have Turkeys, Chickens and Guinea fowl all together.
5 Turkeys, 6 Guinea fowl and to many chickens to count. All have enough space to roost and roam, and that isn't even everyone. I have ducks and a pair of female geese in with mine, until I can finish building the water fowl coop. Everyone is getting along fine in fact some nights the chickens who don't roost cuddle up with the ducks and geese.

I let my 7 chickens out of the coop/run to free range in the barn yard during the day,and when weather permits. at night I put the chickens back in the coop, my coop is 5'x6' with the run measuring 6'x 16' including under the raised coop. if I got guinea's should I keep them in the same coop at night? or should they be kept in there own place
In my opinion adding guineas to your existing flock and coop would be a mistake. Guineas need more "personal" space than chickens need.

I've had broodys raise keets fine.

my adult guineas did good till the female started laying and the males became mature.the males would latch on to the chickens tail and hold on as the chicken ran away squacking...ya not good.

freeranging they should be ok cause they would stick to their own groups.

as for the turkey though not a good idea with bantam chickens...

Back
Top Bottom