Turkey behavior questions!

thecrumbler

Chirping
Mar 18, 2015
Illinois
A few weeks ago we became the proud parents of 2 poults(not sure on breed, the shopowner said they could be thanksgiving dinner or pets - we wont be eating them though).

The white one had been bullied to the point where she had to be separated. The guy wanted to move the turkey along so we bought the brown one(Tigey) as a companion and took the white one(Gobbles).

Oh, such happy turkeys. Gobbles stood over Tigey for two days peeping and following him around. They're pals. Both of them follow us around when they're out of their brooder and they're so friendly. I'm curious about their gender, but they're only 3 weeks old. Tigey does this...floop thing. I've only seen adult male turkeys do this. What is it called?! (I took a pic). I've had a female chicken who crowed and mounted girls so I'm not counting it as a definite gender thing - but what is it called?!

It is called strutting. When young both genders will strut. It is hard to tell gender until they are a few months old.

Well that was easy, haha. I thought there'd be some crazy term for it. Gobbles hasn't done it at all, just Tigey. In any case, thank you! I'll have to post more pics as they age, I'm curious on breed!

At that age, alot of it is dominance. The more dominant one will strut more. Wait till they start trying to gobble. It's funny

Back
Top Bottom