Turkey Butts Falling Out!

IndianaHoosier

In the Brooder
Jun 25, 2018
Central Indiana
First time turkey and chicken owner here! I read about not raising turkeys and chickens together due to blackhead but have neighbors that do it and have never had an issue. I bought 8 chickens and 8 turkeys at Rural King last Saturday, 6/16 and have had issues with the turkeys. I bought 4 broad breasted bronze and 4 broad breasted whites. I am keeping the turkeys in a separate brooder than the chickens. I found a random dead bronze one day, then found a bronze picking at a whites butt. It was later that night, I found the white's butt bald from feathers and its butt looking slightly prolapsed and bloodied so I quarantined him/her. The next day I found a different white dead with the others in the brooder with a protruded butt but no signs of blood. Today, my wife found the remaining two whites that were with the others having butt issues. I currently have three living whites (all with butt issues) and three living bronzes that seem fine.

Does anyone know what this could be? Please say no blackhead!
upload_2018-6-25_21-56-4.png

upload_2018-6-25_21-56-24.png

upload_2018-6-25_21-56-40.png

Welcome to BYC!

Not likely blackhead. Coccidiosis and/or enteritis could be the cause.

Curiously, are those cedar shavings? If so, I suggest you get them off of the cedar because I think it can be toxic. Use pine instead.
The fumes from the cedar shavings will upset their lungs and can lead to respiratory problems.

The original white that had it the worst died yesterday. The other two whites that were having issues seem to be doing okay since I have them separated from the bronzes. Bronzes are doing great. And all the chickens are growing like weeds.

I have a poult with the same problems as yours had. Did you ever find out what it was? Or did you give them any kind of treatment besides separating them?

Back
Top Bottom