Turkey chasing sister!

Mix a little Saltpetre in his food.
062.gif

give here a broom and let her have him for target practice. He will after a few good whacks learn not to mess with her.

I'm having the same problem with my new tom. He just stalks the grown ups, struts, and drums but no violence. My eight year old daughter goes out twice a day to collect eggs and check on the chickens and turkeys and if he has managed to get out will flog her. She was flogged many times in the past by a nasty rooster (he was recently retired to freezer camp, because he just wouldn't stop) so she is not scared of him but he is so big I'm afraid he will be able to push her over and get at her face.

So alas he is locked up until breeding season is over. I will give him that amount of time and if he is still nasty he will go to freezer camp too!

With him though a big stick wasn't necessary, we took a bright orange halloween blanket out to herd him with when he flew his coop last week and the moment he saw it he ran right back into his pen lol.

Good luck!

We had an amusing but different version of this story this morning.

We have 5 poults about 10 weeks old, our first turkeys. They have the run of the land but stay mainly in the shade of the trees and bushes near to our kitchen door and outhouse. When one of us appears they will follow until we go to open ground. They have ants eggs on their minds. We also have a 17 year old cat that came with me from England. She lives a quiet life and is irritated by the many wild birds around the garden because she feels that she ought to do something about them but doesn't want to bother. When she strolls past the poults she gives them the same resentful look and moves on. I watch her closely, of course, but for much of the day she sleeps out of the heat.

This morning, the poults decided to follow her. She ran away! Amusing but I think that I need to watch this. It could become less amusing as they grow or if the cat becomes annoyed.

Back
Top Bottom