Turkey chasing sister!

PrinceSandwich

Songster
10 Years
Nov 11, 2009
Alberta, Canada
I have a blue slate turkey tom that I raised from a poult. Hes really pretty and friendly, but hes desided that he doesn't like my 8 year old sister ( or the dog) and every time she comes out to the barn the turkey chases her around and jumps on her. Does anyone know what we can do to stop the turkey from doing this? she has to go out to the barn twice a day to feed her rabbits.

It's that time of the year when most sweet, little toms turn into big, flogging toms. Spring is when they mate and they get very terratorial. Unless you lock him up he will keep getting after her.

They think they can get away at picking on the little ones. We had one we had to rehome because he was hell bent on attacking my 4 year old. He would meet her at the gate and try to flog her, and after the second time he had to leave. He never bothered us because he knew we were bigger than him I guess.

I favor a stout broom for this given her size. Tell her to swat him with it like she's trying to knock him into next week and keep doing it until HE runs then chase him until she's tired of it. She's not likely to be able to do any real damage to him with a broom, but it should be enough to convince him not to cross her again.

The real problem lies in getting her to do this.

.....Alan.

Back
Top Bottom