Turkey chicks

Alina28

Songster
Dec 28, 2017
I got 8 rescued turkey chicks not more than 3 days old. They are not very active and ate very little. I am quite worried about them. I don't know why they are not eating anything? Some of them do seem weak to me. This is my first time raising turkey chicks. Help guys😣😣😫

Attachments

• IMG_20200927_131714.jpg
    IMG_20200927_131714.jpg
    194.5 KB · Views: 17
  • IMG_20200927_153720.jpg
    IMG_20200927_153720.jpg
    82.8 KB · Views: 14
Last edited:
Were they eating or drinking where you rescued them from? I would immediately give them water with electrolytes and sugar by either dipping their beaks in it or dripping it onto the tips of their beaks to stimulate drinking. The sugar will give them nutrition until they begin eating on their own. Good luck with the little ones.

Were they eating or drinking where you rescued them from? I would immediately give them water with electrolytes and sugar by either dipping their beaks in it or dripping it onto the tips of their beaks to stimulate drinking. The sugar will give them nutrition until they begin eating on their own. Good luck with the little ones.
Can they be given sugar water?

I don't know if it's a possibility or not, but I read a recommendation that when ordering turkey poults to also order a few layer chicks because the chicks will help teach the poults to eat and drink properly. Can you get a couple chicks to add to the brood?
I know about chicken math, but I think you just started multi bird math. It's like calculus with birds.:gig

I know about chicken math, but I think you just started multi bird math. It's like calculus with birds.:gig

Here it is. From Welp.

"In the event you might have chicks the approximate age as your turkey poults, consider putting 4-6 of them in with the newly arrived turkeys. The chicks will lead the turkeys to feed and water. Remove the chicks from the turkeys after 3-4 days. "

https://www.welphatchery.com/turkey_care

X2 on the sugar water to perk them up. Do they have a heat lamp in the brooder? If they are that young, they'll need it depending on the temps where you're at. What feed are you using?

Here is a pic of there poo. Could it be coccidia?

Attachments

• IMG_20200928_095346.jpg
    IMG_20200928_095346.jpg
    245.4 KB · Views: 8
I got 8 rescued turkey chicks not more than 3 days old. They are not very active and ate very little. I am quite worried about them. I don't know why they are not eating anything? Some of them do seem weak to me. This is my first time raising turkey chicks. Help guys😣😣😫
they may still have the yolk at the time of your post, but id take a paper plate and put there food on, train them to that. In a couple days give them your standard screw on feeder, but without the jar on top train them to that, in a couple days attach the jar or plastic bottle and train them to that. Its the process i use on mine, but its the only way you'll get them to under to eat. To train them tap the food with your finger hooked like a beak. It'll be frustrating cause they,ll peck the plastic and your finger and never the feed, but they'll get the point in a few days.

they may still have the yolk at the time of your post, but id take a paper plate and put there food on, train them to that. In a couple days give them your standard screw on feeder, but without the jar on top train them to that, in a couple days attach the jar or plastic bottle and train them to that. Its the process i use on mine, but its the only way you'll get them to under to eat. To train them tap the food with your finger hooked like a beak. It'll be frustrating cause they,ll peck the plastic and your finger and never the feed, but they'll get the point in a few days.

Thanks for the advice!!! Unfortunately only 4 out of 8 are left. And the remaining ones are also quite weak. They drink a lot of water but rarely eat. When i take them out in the sun they don't act Lethargic at all and run everywhere pecking on everything. I can't figure out whats exactly wrong with them and why they eat rarely.

Back
Top Bottom