Turkey choices

I don't have much to add to this thread, having only raised turkeys for the first time last summer. I thought I was purchasing BBW at the feed store but they turned out to be Royal Palm. They were very pretty,..in that lumpy headed, dangly facial bits way that only a turkey lover could call pretty. We had one baked for Christmas dinner according to the Martha Stewart "Turkey 101" recipie that we always use for turkey and everyone at the table agreed that it was the best turkey they had ever eaten. The second turkey we brined and smokedand served for our New Years Party and not only was it picked to the bone (poor Honey Baked Ham was hardly noticed) the carcass made awesome stock for a grilled corn and pepper soup.

That said, my tom was only 12 pounds dressed and the hen was only 6 pounds. This year I'm going to try both Naraganset and Bourbon Red and hope for a larger bird.

I don't have much to add to this thread, having only raised turkeys for the first time last summer. I thought I was purchasing BBW at the feed store but they turned out to be Royal Palm. They were very pretty,..in that lumpy headed, dangly facial bits way that only a turkey lover could call pretty. We had one baked for Christmas dinner according to the Martha Stewart "Turkey 101" recipie that we always use for turkey and everyone at the table agreed that it was the best turkey they had ever eaten. The second turkey we brined and smokedand served for our New Years Party and not only was it picked to the bone (poor Honey Baked Ham was hardly noticed) the carcass made awesome stock for a grilled corn and pepper soup.

That said, my tom was only 12 pounds dressed and the hen was only 6 pounds. This year I'm going to try both Naraganset and Bourbon Red and hope for a larger bird.
YOu can get the flavor in the BBW too by not pushing the growth, and holding htem as long as possible. It seems to be the age that influences the flavor. ANd just ot be clear-- this flavor is not gamey, just a deeper riched chicken or turky flavoring.

GO for the bigger birds Humming bird-- the palms are ornamental and gorgeous, but less meat is what everyone says. I can't speak from experience becuase I have passed on Palms. My narri is slightly larger than my BR.

ANd just ot be clear-- this flavor is not gamey, just a deeper riched chicken or turky flavoring.
I completely agree. I had described the breast meat on my RP tom as having the same sort of richness and texture as dark meat usually has...still the white meat flavor but tender and moist without the dry-tastelessness of some store purchased turkeys. Now the Martha Stewart recipie does include basting the turkey with a bottle of white wine and a pound of butter that you keep simmering on the stove so I'm sure that helped, but we do all our turkeys with that recipie and the home grown turkey was much tastier than anything we've had before. My poor husband was actually a bit dissapointed because he was hoping I woudln't be encouraged to do turkeys again this summer. He's not much into the livestock.
hmm.png

Sorry DH is not into the turkeys-- my DH wishes we had gotten chickens sooner!! HE enjoys throwing corn to them in the summer. ( He gets home after dark now and the birds are all tucked up in their beds by then.)

Funny, it's the DW that wishes I had never gotten turkeys here...but I love them!
It is hard for me to know whether my hubby truly dislikes my chickens and turkeys or just likes to play the long suffering husband card. We made the deal that he would be in no way responsible for their care, feeding or slaughtering although he is a fine cook and has made me numerous omlets and was largely responsible for the cooking of both turkeys. The important thing is that while he rolls his eyes and sighs when I talk about increasing the number of turkeys I raise this year, he didn't say "no". I have 10 Bourbon Reds on order for the first week of April.

My 2 favorite birds are my wild Eastern and Rio Grande toms. They have so much character and both are just super smart. The feathers are just beautiful changing colors from blue to copper and everything in between. My Sweetgrass are really pretty birds also and full of personality as well. My 7 year old boy seems to be able to talk with them as they all follow him around in a group making their turkey noises.

I raised the broad breasted whites and bronze for food and raised Royal Palm and Bourbon Reds to have free range. I would like to try the Auburn. I don't see any of them around.
Anyone know of anybody raising them?

I raised the broad breasted whites and bronze for food and raised Royal Palm and Bourbon Reds to have free range. I would like to try the Auburn. I don't see any of them around.
Anyone know of anybody raising them?
I rather like the auburn, and unusual color and history. HOwever, I only have males at this point. No hens. If you find a local source let me know-- unless you are interested in splitting an order to POrters.

Back
Top Bottom