Turkey Color Genetics Lessons

Whoa! Thanks, Lagerdogger!! I have tried to read the stuff over at Porters, but it doesn't make much sense to me.
roll.png
This really clarified all of the little things, like the capitalization of letters and stuff. Its a lot to think about! I do kinda want to play with color combinations with the birds I have/will hatch. Currently, I have a pair of Spanish Blacks (along with four of their babies, about 3 mo. old) and a pair of Standard Bronzes (they aren't to breeding age yet).

This also makes me want to ask you a few things (I hope you don't mind!). My Spanish Black hen, Spangles, has some really weird feathers going on:

She's in the front there, her turkey-husband behind her (Buck, who looks mostly Spanish Black, except he has some white barring on his wings). Spangles will get an occasional "wild turkey feather" in her tail feathers. She isn't very "shiney" or iridescent like Buck (if that matters much?). Here's another pic of her:
Wow, she's beautiful. I don't know what she is but I'd love to have a few :)

I would like to know if I cross a Bourbon Red with a Narragansett will the off spring be Golden Narragansett's?

According to the calculator on Porter's site the outcome will be Red Bronze hens and toms if you cross a Bourbon Red tom on a Narragansett hen.

If you cross a Narragansett tom on a Bourbon Red hen you will get Golden Narragansett hens and Red Bronze toms.

I have been raising and breeding Narragansett's for 1+ years. I wanted to get another gene going, so I had some shipped to me. All look like my gansetts except for one. She swears nothing but gansetts on her property. She/He looks similar to a Tiger Bronze. Thoughts....Could this be a gansett with recessive gene? She is on the right. She is also much smaller.

Thanks, Can you clarify.. The link goes to Oregon Gray, but the genotype you wrote is for a dark gray??

Ok, thanks for clarifying. Out of the 6 that hatched she was the only one that looks like this. I sent the breeder a pic and she is blown away. She has no idea where that came from. No one else so far has shared this info.

I know this is an old thread, but I thought I would take a chance that someone might answer, and know. I want to create a heritage cross that is bigger than a beltsville white, but eventually will still be white. I plan to cross my beltsville hens with red bourbon toms. I am going to guess the offspring will be either white or bronze? Then if I cross them together can I get them back to white?

Back
Top Bottom