Turkey Coop

TurkeyMamma9

In the Brooder
Jun 8, 2016
Pennsylvania

My husband did a good job building a new home for our 8 turkeys.

Very nice! Is he going to add some windows/vents?

We have two BBBs and two BBWs aged 14 weeks. We have them in a little coop just at night but they are growing so fast that they will soon be too crowded.

What kind of turkeys do you have?

Thanks! We are still looking into venting. Right now we leave the 1 door open all the time. We have 4 Royal Palms, 2 Montana Sweetgrass, and 2 I'm not sure...bronze I think.

Nice big space!!
I wonder about predator proofing tho...... and snow load come winter, or maybe they'll all be gone by Thanksgiving?

Last edited:
They will not be Thanksgiving dinner :) just pets. So far so good with predators. The pen is pretty close to the house and we have 2 dogs that keep most pests away. We have the fence and the netting goes all the way down. Fingers crossed that it's enough.

They will not be Thanksgiving dinner
smile.png
just pets. So far so good with predators. The pen is pretty close to the house and we have 2 dogs that keep most pests away. We have the fence and the netting goes all the way down. Fingers crossed that it's enough.
If dogs are out 24/7 that's good....'fabric'(non-metal) bird netting is no deterrence to most preds with teeth and time.

I wonder if you have raccoons where you are? I notice you have a lot of trees in your yard, just like we do, and we have raccoons that are always skulking around at night. Probably your dogs keep them away, but if one raccoon gets near that netting, it will go right through it quick as a wink. I would hate for you to lose all your little sweeties
1f983.png
to one nasty raccoon some night!

On a different note, have you found that your turkeys are surprisingly sociable? This is our first time raising turkeys and we have been surprised at how friendly and sociable they are with us. They follow me all over the yard while I am working in the gardens and hang out wherever I am. I will be kind of sad come November!

I'm surrounded by woods but we don't really see coons. Hoping it stays that way! Our turkeys are very social. They are 12 weeks and are constantly trying to perch on our shoulders. This is all new to us but we have had so much fun with them!

I wonder if you have raccoons where you are? I notice you have a lot of trees in your yard, just like we do, and we have raccoons that are always skulking around at night. Probably your dogs keep them away, but if one raccoon gets near that netting, it will go right through it quick as a wink. I would hate for you to lose all your little sweeties
1f983.png
to one nasty raccoon some night!

On a different note, have you found that your turkeys are surprisingly sociable? This is our first time raising turkeys and we have been surprised at how friendly and sociable they are with us. They follow me all over the yard while I am working in the gardens and hang out wherever I am. I will be kind of sad come November!
Those look huge already!
What's your butcher weight goal and timing?

Back
Top Bottom