Turkey Deathmatch

Blisschick

not rusty
12 Years
Feb 20, 2007
Shepherd, Texas
Well, it's happened...my tom from this spring challenged his father. I don't know what started it, I was off in another part of the yard tending a burn pile, but I heard the other turkeys chattering, and heard some commotion, so I went to see what was up. GOOD GRIEF!!

They were bumping and biting, intertwining their necks and biting the poo out of each other. At one point, they had each other's snoods and were walking in circles. I broke them up and took the Inky the One-eyed Turkey to another part of the yard to cool down. Not even five minutes later, they were back at it again. This time they were locked in the kiss of death--they were clamped inside each other's mouth! Inky looked like he had Skittles' head halfway down his throat. I broke them up again after a few minutes of pushing and huffing. The whole time, a younger tom that has just discovered he's a male was puffed up and circling, along with all the other turkeys watching the proceedings, probaby cheering the fight on in turkey language.
roll.png
Normally timid Skittles didn't want to leave it alone when it was obvious that he'd won, so I put Inky in a pen to catch his breath. A few minutes later, Skittles found him and was trying to challenge him through the wire, so Skittles ended up in a separate pen himself.

I know that Skittles has been breeding with one of the hens lately. I'm guessing that this is all a show of who's the top tom, but I don't want to have to worry about them hurting each other, especially since Inky only has one eye. Should I be concerned or just let them do their thing?

Believe it or not at thanksgiving I was at youtube and there was a video of 2 wild toms going at it and it sounded exactly like your turkeys. It was kinda funny cause in the background the person used boxing fight noises with the bell going off and people cheering in the background. There was I think a hen watching the whole proceedings to give it the feel that it was a referee. It may still be at youtube and you should check it out. I think it was under turkeys or something.

lau.gif

That video looks exactly like what my boys were doing, including the "referee"! Yep, the only thing missing was the noise of the crowd and the bell. I only wish I had a photo with Skittle's head in Inky's mouth.

I went out not long after I posted and let them loose, figuring they'd had time to cool off. 10 minutes later, they were at it again, popping each other with wings and then the head biting started. Inky won this time. They haven't bothered each other in a couple of hours now.

Wild Turkey Fight

wow. that would freak me right out. i guess if you were going to eat them, you would have on turkey day. lol.

Back
Top Bottom