Turkey Disease

Henry'schickens :

Quote:
Sometimes I wonder if that is a good idea. Then they want to come in and take over the whole place. I know they are doing their job but sometimes.............Could have you cull the whole flock just on an assumption. I don't know that from experience but have heard people say that.

Thats true- Here in NC we have agents that are very small farm, small producer friendly. But I would hate to live anywhere near a big turkey place. The agents there would be far less helpful. They would probably cull your whole flock, burn your barn to the ground and sow the earth with salt.​

Some of those pictures sure look close to me.. it says mild to severe in cases.. very well may be what it is..
if it is
Avian pox is a highly contagious disease and there are three primary control methods that can be used if infected birds are present. Eliminating standing water will control the primary vector, the mosquito. Infected birds should be isolated or culled to remove the source of the virus. Feeders, waterers, birdbaths and cages should be decontaminated with a 10% bleach solution.

Last edited:
I am a relative turkey novice, if that makes any sense. I guess I would seperate the affected birds and start them on some sort of oxytetracycline in their water....At least that might limit the spread, if the condition is contagious...from what I know about fowpox there is really nothing you can do and it should eventually run its course...again I have chicken experience and not so much turkey smarts....Some one may have a better answer than this.

Transmission
Transmission of the avian pox virus can occur in a number of ways. The disease can be spread via mechanical vectors, primarily by species of mosquitoes (at least 10). Transmission occurs when the mosquito feeds on an infected bird that has a viremia (pox virus circulating in the blood) present or on virus-laden secretions from a pox lesion and then feeds on an uninfected bird. Mosquitoes can harbor and transmit the virus for a month or longer after feeding on an infected bird. Experimentally, stable flies have shown the capability of being able to transmit the pox virus.

Avian pox can also be transmitted by direct contact between infected and susceptible birds. The virus is transmitted through abraded or broken skin or the conjunctiva (mucous membrane covering the anterior surface of the eyeball). Indirect transmission of the pox virus can also occur via ingestion when food and water sources, feeders, perches, cages, or clothing are contaminated with virus-containing scabs shed from the lesions of an infected bird. The pox virus is highly resistant to drying and may survive months to years in the dried scabs. Indirect transmission can also occur via inhalation of pox virus infected dander, feather debris and air-borne particles.

Mosquitoes are probably responsible for transmission within local areas, while wild birds are responsible for outbreaks over greater distances.

Clinical Signs

Clinical signs observed with avian pox are weakness, emaciation, difficulty in swallowing and breathing, vision problems, a reduction in egg production, soiled facial feathers, conjunctivitis, edema of the eyelids and the presence of the characteristic wart-like growths on the unfeathered portions of the skin and/or formation of a diphtheritic membrane on the upper portion of the digestive tract.

i have a royal palm with same bumps on top of head ibelieve it might be fowl pox. but is it a terminal disease?

I hope this thread doesn't die. I'm really curious to know for sure what that is so I can be prepared if something like that occurs here. Hopefully going into the weekend some more experienced turkey owners can give us thier opinions.

BTW turkey4me,
welcome-byc.gif
From KS.

Fowl pox is generally divided into two types based upon it's manifestations. The common dry type that causes skin growths and scabs eventually resolves in most birds with only minor complication such as infection of scabs. Local infection can be treated with antibiotic ointments, iodine etc.

If the virus involves the mucous membranes of the eye, oral cavity or respiratory tract the birds can get into serious trouble and die. This is called the "wet" form of avian pox. The biggest challenge is keeping the bird eating and drinking so it will not die of dehydration or starvation. As the bird is weakened it also is predisposed to secondary bacterial infection so sometimes broad spectrum antibiotics can help. If purely viral the antibiotics do nothing to help your bird.

The bird can have both the skin lesions and wet form at the same time. Just different manifestations of the same virus.

Back
Top Bottom