Turkey Disease

mike385l

Hatching
10 Years
Aug 26, 2009
I'm having problems adding a picture to this posting, I have a 3 month old white turkey that has black growths on this face and neck. Can anyone tell me what this is and how to treat it.

Thanks

I'm bumping this for you because I would like to know also.

I don't think it necessarily means it has blackhead. There is more to it than that. As i mentioned to another poster, you need to give more info such as area you live in
free ranging??
what you feed??
age?
etc.

It will help other members if you have more info about the bird

welcome-byc.gif

idunno.gif
I have never seen anything like it here on this forum. Is it a type of fungus?? I do hope someone can help you. I will be subscribing to this since I'm a newbie with turkeys. Hopefully sands or harp will wake up and read this and be able to offer some ideas to what it may be and what causes it and how to treat it.

Yes very strange, I am interested in this as well, I haven't seen this before.

AL

Whatever it is seperate it out from the others! I'd see if there's an extension agent nearby that can help you. Sometimes local universities have people you can call.
Yuk!

Looks like tumors of some kind?? never seen anything like it.. did it just all of sudden get them or did it have growth as a poult..?? its not blackhead that is for sure, blackhead is just the skin color no growth with blackhead..

is it possibly pox??

CHICKEN POX OR FOWL POX (SOREHEAD
Cause: A virus.
Transmission: Mosquitoes are considered an important means of transmission.
Lesions: Wart-like nodules covered with brown scabs on the bare parts of the head, feet and around the vent. Yellowish cheese-like areas may occur on the inside of the mouth.
Treatment: None?
Control: All birds intended for laying purposes should be vaccinated. Birds whose resistance has been weakened through any condition or disease should not be vaccinated until they are healthy.

Last edited:
Quote:
Sometimes I wonder if that is a good idea. Then they want to come in and take over the whole place. I know they are doing their job but sometimes.............Could have you cull the whole flock just on an assumption. I don't know that from experience but have heard people say that.

Back
Top Bottom