Turkey egg questions

RuffTuffCreampuff

Songster
10 Years
Mar 27, 2009
Gainesville, Texas
After identifying problems from my last disappointing hatch (improper humidity control was a big one) I just started 15 royal palm eggs. Now I have a few questions scampering through my mind and perhaps someone with greater experience can provide some guidance.

1. How often should turkey eggs be turned? The incubator is an older model, and the automatic turner is wonkey. Happily, the semi-automatic turner (I hold the switch as the trays tilt) works. I plan to turn the eggs twice a day (6am and 6pm) as this fits my schedule quite nicely.

2. I replaced the smaller water containers with a larger single container. I am thrifty by nature; it's a small kitty litter box that holds about a gallon of water. Beyond monitoring this on a regular schedule, will this be adequate?

3. When should I candle the eggs for the first time, or for that matter, can turkey eggs be candled? They seem rather substantially shelled.

Allow me to thank you in advance for any responses to my queries. I'm not a total rookie, but until recently relied on broodies (which I still intend to use) to do what nature intended.

I'm sorry - I know nothing about turkey eggs, but I wanted to welcome you to BYC!
welcome-byc.gif
! I'm sure someone will come along shortly that has more info for you. This is a GREAT place to get answers!

Penny

I do not know the answer to these questions, but when you do get the answers I would like to know because I too have turkey eggs that I am getting ready to incubate and I need help.
hmm.png

Quote:
Welcome!
#1 at least 3 -5 times daily
#2 humitidy needs to be 20-40 till the last 3 days then 60
#3 I candle at ay 10 and day 25 if none formed at day 25 I trash or lt the kids break open, it leaves room for the ones that are going to hatch.

Last edited:
Thanks for the good information! I'll keep y'all posted on the progress...by the way, I'm still collecting eggs...if my hen continues to lay as predictably as she has, I should have another 5 eggs by Friday.
big_smile.png

Back
Top Bottom