Turkey hatching - intestines coming out through vent?

Rashel

Hatching
8 Years
Apr 10, 2011
I had two turkey eggs with the same hatch date and both of the chicks came out of the shell well and started moving around and eating well. They act like nothings wrong, but there is! I think their intestines is prolapsed. It's coming out through their hinny.

I was wondering if you knew what causes this? I have successfully hatched out 8 chicks before these two came yesterday. The eggs are on an automatic turner and I keep water in there and the temperature at the right place all through incubation. Also, I stop moving them three days prior to hatch.

Is it a prolapse? Did their hinny get stuck to the shell when they hatched? The first chick had it so bad we had to kill it, but this second one seems like a more mild case, but it's still sticking out of it's hinny. I'm starting to think it's having a hard time pooping, because it's getting on his butt.

Any advise is most welcome. I'm not sure what to do.
Thanks,
Rashel

It could be a little yolk that did not absorb. No one here can really tell anything about this without pictures.

How do I load pictures? I don't see a link when I post a reply or a message.
Thanks,
R

K. I figured out how to load a picture. Here you go...

85968_photo-6.jpg

85968_photo-7.jpg

This picture was taken 24 hours hatched. You can see the duty is getting back up. My other chicks don't look like this and have clean hineys. The part that came out that was red is now dried up and hard on top of that poppy area. TMI?
smile.png

85968_photo-8.jpg

Back
Top Bottom