Turkey hen behaving badly

aesch

Songster
6 Years
Jun 30, 2017
I have 4 turkeys. Two are BBW toms and 2 are SB, one tom and one hen. They were bought as chicks at the same time and have been together since I got them in March of this year. For the most part my hen has largely ignored the toms. They have never attacked her or tried to mate with her. Although they will puff up at the least noise or excuse they're only interested in trying to intimidate each other. Today I saw her viciously attacking them; to the point I felt it necessary to use the hose to separate her from them. One Tom has a swollen eye and the others show the marks from her bites. Is this normal? She isn't laying nor does she seem to be receptive to any advances. They are fed well, have half an acre to roam about with lots of grass and covered places to rest. Thanks in advance.

I have 4 turkeys. Two are BBW toms and 2 are SB, one tom and one hen. They were bought as chicks at the same time and have been together since I got them in March of this year. For the most part my hen has largely ignored the toms. They have never attacked her or tried to mate with her. Although they will puff up at the least noise or excuse they're only interested in trying to intimidate each other. Today I saw her viciously attacking them; to the point I felt it necessary to use the hose to separate her from them. One Tom has a swollen eye and the others show the marks from her bites. Is this normal? She isn't laying nor does she seem to be receptive to any advances. They are fed well, have half an acre to roam about with lots of grass and covered places to rest. Thanks in advance.
Sounds like a dominance fight. It is possible that one or more of the toms started it and she was finishing it. The more that you interfere with pecking order fights, the longer it will take them to settle their differences.

Sounds like a dominance fight. It is possible that one or more of the toms started it and she was finishing it. The more that you interfere with pecking order fights, the longer it will take them to settle their differences.
Thanks. I was more concerned that one was going to lose an eye than anything else. Whatever the problem was they seemed to have resolved it. As Shakespeare wrote: she may be small, but she be mighty. Lol

Back
Top Bottom