Turkey hen on eggs for 30 days now

shaun14

Chirping
8 Years
Nov 14, 2014
Hi,
She hatched some eggs last year, so definitely knows how. She has been on the eggs for 30 days, maybe 31. I was able to look under her the other night as there was a bad smell. All of the eggs were intact, the smell came from something else in the hay that was probably there before she sat.

She's very persistent and rarely gets up for water or anything. Do turkeys ever go past the 28 days or is this a sign they are not viable? She was bred many times by our toms.

Hi, I have just had a Hen sit for 35 days, she hatched all 10!!! I think that the sitting length was extended because the day I started counting was clearly earlier than she started sitting. The first week she kept getting off and I was counting more each time. My second Hen is also sitting and did the same on/off and extra eggs, so I'm adding a week on to her start date. I did lots of research on BYC and the best advice I took from it all was "she knows what she's doing". So my advice as a very novice turkey breeder would be wait a little longer and see what happens.

Thank you, I know I marked on the calendar when she started sitting full time, but I think maybe some were laid after that? Anyway, it's been 37 days now. They are all intact, I wonder if I should candle them? She will not like it.

Give it a shot. She if any are viable.

I kicked my broody hens off the nest last weekend. They weren't happy but they set too long and eggs were no good. They all sounded like a 22 going off when I tossed them.

I removed the doghouses they lay in. So that way they have to use the roost bars and maybe break the brood mood. 2 took it good 1 is being stubborn about it.

Good luck

Back
Top Bottom