Turkey hen squat? Pictures

yep i agree those are two very gorgeous hens ya got there
smile.png
No doubt about it
big_smile.png

Awe, Thank you so much!
They are friendly and a lot more fun than I thought they would be!
My dogs are good with them and the chickens. But those 2 turkey 'hens' make sure they stay in line anyway!

Flowerpot,

Know what you mean about the turkey hens being more fun than you would've thought! I have a couple born around March if I remember correctly. Anyway, the 14 or so young/2-month-old poults I have that aren't their offspring kind of adopted them as moms... othen they try to snuggle under their "moms'"wings even though the poults are way too big (I guess, unless they'd be doing that at this age even if they were natural offspring), etc. Cheers me up just thinking of their social behaviors. And how I hate EST now getting home from work almost too late to see them during the week!!!!

Yours are very pretty.

i'm not sure the Narri on the right is a hen. Hmmm. maybe.
My turkeys laid eggs very early (in beginning of March and still haven't stopped in November!). They NEVER stopped laying. They had multiple nests all season. Just a warning! (I have Bourbon Reds). I have on sitting on a nest right now. Nothing I could do to dissuade her....
idunno.gif

Don't you just love turkey personalities?

Last edited:
Thank you I think they are pretty too!
Have you had turkeys very long or are these your first ones too?
That would be so cute to see then trying to snuggle like that!

I have seen zack (on the right) poof his feathers out only 2 times Isnt that called display...? But just for a minute I have never seen cody do that. but they look so much alike except for the coloring I just assumed male or female they were probably the same.
Zack is not as friendly though. doesnt want me to touch him/her. and cody keeps laying down in front of me wanting me to pet him/her.
6 months olds wouldnt show more rooish looks yet?

My toms are always bigger in size than hens. It is VERY obvious with my 6 month olds due to the size and the difference in head wattles comparing the hens to toms, although I could tell around 4 months the difference in size too. I had a hen that developed a beard and started strutting like a tom at 1 year old, but recently read that a small percentage of hens in the wild, do develop beards, so its not that uncommon.

The toms feet are much thicker and larger (like a roos) but then I can always compare within breed and you have 2 separate breeds so I don't know if that's helpful.

Also, I find both toms and hens either friendly or distant depending on their moods. The springtime however is when your tom, if you have one, will really act up.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom