Turkey Hens and the Pecking Order

MickWithChicks

Songster
6 Years
Jul 18, 2017
East Coast of Australia
I'm reasonably new to Turkeys. I've had two turkey hens since October 2018 - Miss Jingle and Miss Kringle. They're penned with my chickens and get along very well with them. There have been no reports of blackhead in the area, so the risk of penning them together is fairly low.

Obviously, the Turkey hens are at the top of the pecking order as far as the chickens are concerned (and they even stick up for my two silkies when the others pick on them), but they're now fighting among themselves.

Recently, Miss Jingle went through a brood (in her own, self made nest) and I'd bring her in at night. It looks like the brood has come to an end, and she's now very hormonal. Her and Miss Kringle are fighting everyday and really beating each other up. Once one has "won" for the day, she'll follow the other around, but the fighting stops. Next day, it starts again.

When they fight, they often wrap necks and end up with their beaks in each others mouths as they push each other back and forth. Often breaking to bite at the skin and kick at one another.

They're both getting bruised and beaten now, with a bit of swelling in Miss Kringle's eye today. I know this is normal for Turkey Hens to fight until the dominant one "wins", but as they're so evenly matched, they seem to want a daily rematch.

How long does this usually go on for?

Has anyone found a way to minimise injuries while they fight for the spot of top hen?

Up until this week they were getting along really well and with the exception of nesting/laying, were side by side all day long.

Note: their run is quite large, but it is not covered. The chickens are unable to escape, but the turkeys fly in and out of it as they please and have 2 acres to roam (but tend to stick to about 1/4 acre).

Many times fighting will go on for days, and even possibly weeks. Turkeys are persistent. I have never been successful in stopping them. That's the very reason they can be so deadly to chickens who often stop fighting when one gives up. Turkeys will keep at the loser, and if multiple birds are involved they can kill each other if enough turkeys are involved. So watch your chickens. Turkeys are relentless.

I see multiple hen fights throughout the year. Most are harmless and the loser hides in the shed for a week or two.

That's the very reason they can be so deadly to chickens who often stop fighting when one gives up. Turkeys will keep at the loser, and if multiple birds are involved they can kill each other if enough turkeys are involved. So watch your chickens. Turkeys are relentless.

Thanks for the heads-up. I haven't seen any evidence of the turkeys going for the chickens yet (except to protect the silkies for some reason). I'll keep an eye on things on that front for sure.

As there are only two turkeys, hopefully there will be no turkey deaths as there aren't enough turkeys to see a gang up on one.

I see multiple hen fights throughout the year. Most are harmless and the loser hides in the shed for a week or two.

I'd better prepare the shed!

They seem to have their fight, the loser definitely avoids the winner, but the winner doesn't look in great shape post-fight either. Birds and their small brains, eh :idunno

Thanks for the heads-up. I haven't seen any evidence of the turkeys going for the chickens yet (except to protect the silkies for some reason). I'll keep an eye on things on that front for sure.

As there are only two turkeys, hopefully there will be no turkey deaths as there aren't enough turkeys to see a gang up on one.

I'd better prepare the shed!

They seem to have their fight, the loser definitely avoids the winner, but the winner doesn't look in great shape post-fight either. Birds and their small brains, eh :idunno
You should see the toms after a fight. They definitely end up worse. Turkeys sure are a different fowl, with their own ideas. :)

Haha, I've though about getting a Tom (and a couple more hens), but would prefer to make a completely separate turkey run and coop so the turkeys wouldn't be around the chooks at that point. I actually find turkeys far more interesting (and intelligent) than chickens. Their own ideas indeed!

I'm reasonably new to Turkeys. I've had two turkey hens since October 2018 - Miss Jingle and Miss Kringle. They're penned with my chickens and get along very well with them. There have been no reports of blackhead in the area, so the risk of penning them together is fairly low.

Obviously, the Turkey hens are at the top of the pecking order as far as the chickens are concerned (and they even stick up for my two silkies when the others pick on them), but they're now fighting among themselves.

Recently, Miss Jingle went through a brood (in her own, self made nest) and I'd bring her in at night. It looks like the brood has come to an end, and she's now very hormonal. Her and Miss Kringle are fighting everyday and really beating each other up. Once one has "won" for the day, she'll follow the other around, but the fighting stops. Next day, it starts again.

When they fight, they often wrap necks and end up with their beaks in each others mouths as they push each other back and forth. Often breaking to bite at the skin and kick at one another.

They're both getting bruised and beaten now, with a bit of swelling in Miss Kringle's eye today. I know this is normal for Turkey Hens to fight until the dominant one "wins", but as they're so evenly matched, they seem to want a daily rematch.

How long does this usually go on for?

Has anyone found a way to minimise injuries while they fight for the spot of top hen?

Up until this week they were getting along really well and with the exception of nesting/laying, were side by side all day long.

Note: their run is quite large, but it is not covered. The chickens are unable to escape, but the turkeys fly in and out of it as they please and have 2 acres to roam (but tend to stick to about 1/4 acre).
It is entirely normal. Any attempts at interfering will cause the fights to last even longer. Separating them really intensifies the fights when they get back together.

@memphis has a pair of turkey hens that have their dominance fight once every year. I believe that she has learned to turn her back and walk away.

I did see someone post the claim that they grease up the heads and necks (Vaseline?). The claim was that with the heads and necks being so slippery, they were not able to grab hold and hang on causing them to give up quickly.

Haha, I've though about getting a Tom (and a couple more hens), but would prefer to make a completely separate turkey run and coop so the turkeys wouldn't be around the chooks at that point. I actually find turkeys far more interesting (and intelligent) than chickens. Their own ideas indeed!
I think they are like 5 year old children with ADD. :) I'm always happy I can lock mine back up in their own pen. Mine enjoy chasing my chickens and ducks when let out. The hens mostly cause trouble. The toms just display and gobble a lot.

It was a stressful few days, but they seem to have worked it out. There was/is heaps of room for them to get away from each other, plenty of places to hide and perch, inside and outside of the run. Miss Jingles remains the dominant one (but seemed to be the most hurt every time!).

I agree that it's like watching children with ADD, and I followed the same method as @memphis; after making sure everything was as safe as could be for their show of strength, I went inside and had a beer.

Back
Top Bottom