Turkey hens loved each other until baby came along!

noonoo1i

In the Brooder
7 Years
Apr 26, 2012
London, UK
My 2 turkey hens keep displaying and attacking each other. They did get along until one hatched an egg. The poult is 2 months old now so I keep trying to re introduce the adults but they hate each other. Is it just because of the baby because they did used to get along fine?? Thank you!!!

My 2 turkey hens keep displaying and attacking each other. They did get along until one hatched an egg. The poult is 2 months old now so I keep trying to re introduce the adults but they hate each other. Is it just because of the baby because they did used to get along fine?? Thank you!!!

After a long separation, the two turkeys have to re-establish their pecking order. Until they get that settled the fighting will continue. Two equally matched turkeys can take a substantial amount of time to get their fight settled.

I had a pair of hens and a tom that were raised together. One of the hens was the dominant bird. When the tom matured he challenged her for dominance. They fought off and on for weeks. The last two days they fought all day long until the hen was finally beaten. After that things calmed down.

Thanks for the quick reply. Will they hurt each other or shall I let them get on with it?? I am so worried, they live in my back garden so don't have as much room as a bird on a farm.

Thanks for the quick reply. Will they hurt each other or shall I let them get on with it?? I am so worried, they live in my back garden so don't have as much room as a bird on a farm.

It would not surprise me for them to draw blood from each other especially around their heads, but I have never had any of my turkeys fight to the point that any of them were seriously injured. If you don't let them work it out on their own, you will always have to keep them separated.

It would not surprise me for them to draw blood from each other especially around their heads, but I have never had any of my turkeys fight to the point that any of them were seriously injured.  If you don't let them work it out on their own, you will always have to keep them separated.

I agree. It's best to let them figure out their pecking order. We just introduced a new trio into our group. The Tom is older, so he thought he was going to take over. What he didn't seem to understand is that the young guy is quicker and more agile. I found him the older boy stalking the flock, but not yet ready to enter the fray again. Eventually he will and the fight will continue until one gives up. I have three more trios to introduce, so we will be doing this for a while. We are free range, so that helps by giving more space.

Blimey, I know some keep theirs for food but mine are like my dogs to me!! LOL. I love them and would hate to see them get hurt. One of the girls is younger and bigger so I would imagine she will "win" but Buster is still trying to protect her baby so has reason to fight?? Maybe?? Well thank you for the advice and I will introduce them only when I am around and see how we go!!! :)

Blimey, I know some keep theirs for food but mine are like my dogs to me!! LOL. I love them and would hate to see them get hurt. One of the girls is younger and bigger so I would imagine she will "win" but Buster is still trying to protect her baby so has reason to fight?? Maybe?? Well thank you for the advice and I will introduce them only when I am around and see how we go!!! :)

My originals are my pets. They are spoilt rotten and love me, but the new ones will never be pet material as they weren't hand raised. They will calm down, but will never be like my babies. Still I love them all, but yea we will be eating some. I have a pet BBW that we will not eat. Eva is the last one of my BB pets. She's now two which is quite old for her breed, but running around with the Midgets has kept her quite healthy. No body messes with the fat girl.

I do separate and break up fights, but the minute I let them go they are right back at it.

I have done it!! They are all introduced and living together, it actually only took about 7 hours before they stopped displaying. Mum turkey won but it now displaying to her baby, the baby is so scared as she is still small. Mum is now protecting a nest of chicken eggs. I suppose this is all natural and they will sort themselves out???

When you introduce a new bird to the flock the one that lives their already usually wins the first fight.
The new comer has nothing to fight for yet.
The old one has everything to fight for because it is their home.

If the new one wins the old one will go hide in the corner and rebuild up some strength and then come back to kick some butt and try to take back what was theirs.

A turkey can get crook neck when fighting.
Once they get that they will never be top dog again.

Back
Top Bottom