Turkey losing feathers

The Raw Mama

In the Brooder
May 13, 2015
Ontario, Canada
We have a 3 or 4 year old slate turkey tom. He is a great pet and pastures with all of our goats, chickens and ducks. He has been losing his feathers like crazy lately. The rosters has been bullying him in the coop a little so he sleeps with the goats now. He is eating fine still struts and gobbles but we've only had him since may so I've never seen him moult and I'm not sure when it's supposed to happen for turkeys. His feathers aren't plucked either, the quills are still intact. We live in Ontario and it's mid August.
This is a picture of Walter from a few weeks ago.

This is him today.

We have a 3 or 4 year old slate turkey tom. He is a great pet and pastures with all of our goats, chickens and ducks. He has been losing his feathers like crazy lately. The rosters has been bullying him in the coop a little so he sleeps with the goats now. He is eating fine still struts and gobbles but we've only had him since may so I've never seen him moult and I'm not sure when it's supposed to happen for turkeys. His feathers aren't plucked either, the quills are still intact. We live in Ontario and it's mid August.
This is a picture of Walter from a few weeks ago.

This is him today.
Your tom looks to be a Red Slate and my guess is that he is starting to molt. My self blue tom has just started molting as have some of my blue slate hens.

My turkeys are so ratty looking, feathers everywhere, by thanksgiving they will be beautiful again.

Back
Top Bottom