turkey love questions

Apr 15, 2024
green bay wisconsin
so i am a huge duck lover and i also love turkeys.im new to heritage breed turkeys. i just got a 1 year old female and a 1 year old tom. about a month ago... she just layed her very first egg. my dream here is to incubate them. but i have not seen the tom mate with her at all or even really showing any interest. hell puff up at her constantly but then go and chase the goats instead.... is this normal?

so i am a huge duck lover and i also love turkeys.im new to heritage breed turkeys. i just got a 1 year old female and a 1 year old tom. about a month ago... she just layed her very first egg. my dream here is to incubate them. but i have not seen the tom mate with her at all or even really showing any interest. hell puff up at her constantly but then go and chase the goats instead.... is this normal?
Thats odd. Even my juvenile turkeys fake to mate with each other. Maybe he already mated with her when you were not watching.

I would suggest adding in a few extra females (or even one extra female). Turkeys in the wild are not single-pair birds, a male has a harem of females, and perhaps having a harem boosts his libido.

But almost all toms have high libido, and sometimes its a problem for the females.

If you confine these two birds, the male might cause injuries to the female. This is why its better to have at least a 1male:3female ratio of turkeys or any game bird.

Thats odd. Even my juvenile turkeys fake to mate with each other. Maybe he already mated with her when you were not watching.

I would suggest adding in a few extra females (or even one extra female). Turkeys in the wild are not single-pair birds, a male has a harem of females, and perhaps having a harem boosts his libido.

But almost all toms have high libido, and sometimes its a problem for the females.

If you confine these two birds, the male might cause injuries to the female. This is why its better to have at least a 1male:3female ratio of turkeys or any game bird.

thank you. its possible he is. im home more often and not and watch the critters instead of t.v. lol and i agree im am hoping to find a few more royal palms are very hard to find in my area. i had to drive an hour and a half for each of the ones i got. i do have some broad brested thatll be old enough soon atleast to keep his mind away while my heritage eggs hatch. and grow

thank you. its possible he is. im home more often and not and watch the critters instead of t.v. lol and i agree im am hoping to find a few more royal palms are very hard to find in my area. i had to drive an hour and a half for each of the ones i got. i do have some broad brested thatll be old enough soon atleast to keep his mind away while my heritage eggs hatch. and grow
Are you gonna let mom do the brooding? If so, let me know how it goes! I am planning to let my turkeys naturally raise poults next spring.

Back
Top Bottom